or Connect

Posts by MamaOutThere

Quote: What we do when our dd is melting down, not able to think, has less control over what she does (I think it's less intentional behavior, and more of a fight-or-flight reaction over which she does have very little control): We try to stay calm, get her to a safe place if needed (or remove other children to a safe place), talk less, refrain from attempting to solve whatever problem prompted the meltdown, move out of range or block to prevent being hit while...
Start late, for sure. Set up that unschooling mentality before driving her into the system. I wanted to unschool. I still do. My reality, however, is that I live in a place where I would have no social/support outlets. Dd also deals with a native language that she would rarely be exposed to if she didn't go to school. Dh wanted dd to attend school. But, what really decided it was this: the kid asked to go to school for kindergarten and never looked back. ...
Quote: "trying to be a nice Mama". Tell her yes. That you're working on it every day. Tell her the book you're reading is to help you become the mama you want to be. There's nothing wrong with this. I share everything with my 7 1/2 yo dd. When I went to therapy I told her it was to help me be a better mama. It's a wonderful model to show you're kids that you have to work at being a good parent. Media tend to portray parenting as bliss. Do...
This is tough. I totally feel for you. Your family meetings sound like the right thing. Could they need visuals? Like a big dry-erase board? I wonder if they need visuals or actual physical guidance (the gentle pushing or taking the hand and putting it on the toothbrush). Words don't seem to be working, so I might just give up on all that (including the family meetings). I'm going to bow out, I think, 'cause this is quite a mind-bender.
That would drive anyone nuts. What are the family meetings like? Do they get to have input? Or is it just laying down new rules? Have you stated how all this makes you feel? Do you talk to them about how they're feeling? Like, "what were you feeling when I asked you to brush your teeth?" You might get some insight there. Have you used I statements, like "When I ask you to brush your teeth and you around and protest and stomp your feet it makes me so...
Quote: In any event, the child is going to have a more difficult time adapting to school and keeping him at home until he is 5 will make it all the harder then. I totally disagree. At age 3, my dd1 was a 20 out of 20 on the HS test. She would go to playgroup and spend almost the entire time with her hands on her ears. I unschooled her (besides some part-time Russian lessons) until she started school at nearly 5 1/2 -- and she soared! Another mama...
MarineWife, I feel a lot like you do. I also move around a lot -- and tend to stick my two feet in my mouth all the time.
7 year-olds are wonderful! I love mine! It's tightrope you have to walk between trusting him and letting him know you're on to him. Not always easy! But kinda fun!
Dd did this too when in her early 7 months. I would play along with funny questions, but eventually the questions would turn to "I'm not the sucker you think I am, you know!" And we would giggle about it. It has phased out since she started 2nd grade in September.
This is mine when dh and I touch, "No! No daddy! Go away, daddy!" Same when dd1 wants a hug. Totally normal. Oh, and I would continue touching, explaining why you're doing it. Just don't mock or tease her with it.