or Connect

Posts by MamaOutThere

And, yep, trinity6232000, sounds like we're in the same boat. I'm not sure dd can spell well enough in English (we unschool in English) to write decent notes (she just started Skyping with her grandmother in French), but we could try to have them send messages.
Yeah, but we live in Kiev. Her Aikido class is conducted in Ukrainian, which she learns in school (typical school language instruction). She can follow the directions -- and has picked up a few more words -- but she can't really do more than hand gestures with the kids there. And, no, the museums are not nearly so developed as to actually offer classes. Some day. She had one experience with some English-speaking girls (dd goes to the French school). Dd was having...
She didn't enjoy complex, or even slightly longer, stories. I've never been able to true read-alouds with her. Even now that she's an advanced reader, she won't let me read her A Secret Garden, for example, even though she's very interested. Dd would enact stories or draw something.
NeedleInTheHay -- At my dd's school all of the 2 yos (TPS) stay all day -- and some even until 5pm! I know their mothers; they are all into "nurturing independence." I know one of the 2 yos, who was a sweet, sweet child last summer, has become a different child since starting school. And in my dd's school TPS and PS are together and there are 31 of them. When the parents complained, the teacher found justifications (like learning to live together, blah blah). I do...
Oh, teachers tend to be so conditioned. I'm sorry she wrote that note to you. My dd tends to be very forgiving and really give kids a chance. She's always had boys as friends, but some of those have started out as her tormentors. The girls at her school have excluded her since she started there, in the 2nd half of Kindergarten. There was even one girl (the director's dd, no less) who yelled, right in front of me, "(Name)? Oh, I despise (name)!" And I'm telling you...
My 7 1/2 yo just told me that she's searching for the perfect friend (she doesn't really have any where we live). She said, "I want someone who won't get mad all the time and give up on me. I want someone who's joyful. She shouldn't talk only about herself. It would be nice if she were a little bit like me: like no princesses, kinda boyish, likes science and reading and stuff like that. Kinda like the perfect friend." I wish I could help her, especially since...
Some studies have shown that kids who attend pre-K (including maternelle in France) show no difference with non-preK kids by age 6. My dd1, for example, did not start school until K; she adapted quickly, and ended up in a higher grade class for reading. She also retained a love of learning that I doubt she would have after already 4 years of full-time school. And Roman Goddess, in France the maternelle classes are grouped together, but GS is differentiated from TPS, PS...
dd (7): reading anything with words (three subscriptions to nature/history/science publications, books, and lots of comic books), Aikido, photography/film, science experiments, guitar, drawing for hours (and finding new techniques), skiing, music (especially jazz and blues), an animated series about the voyages of Ulysses in the future. dd (26 mos): music, dancing, drawing, having books read to her, skiing, gymnastics, learning poems, talking, screaming, throwing fits...
Quote: So do you think that if you ask your child not to do something and they don't listen that it's okay? Not being snarky here I just am curious. I'm not in an okay-not-okay mindset. I'm not in a defiant-compliant mindset. (Not saying you are) If my child does the opposite of what I ask, I know there is an emotion or need behind the action -- and I address that. We talk a lot about the effects of hunger, fatigue, sugar, a day on the couch,...
I stay with dd2 (26 mos), not nursing, until she falls asleep. She's usually on my chest. And then she sleeps through the night (90% of the time). Now, that I've read through a bit, I guess I should add that from birth until the age of 14 mos, she woke 10+ times a night. Then, progressively, she woke less and less. She started to consistently sleep through the night in October.