or Connect

Posts by MSUmama

Quote: Originally Posted by Sarai18 There are numerous options for how to register as a homeschooler. To be an "official" homeschooler, you register with the school district and follow all kinds of rules and regulations. Most people register with a "church related school" instead. Not all of these umbrellas are specifically or restrictively Christian; some require a statement of faith, others don't; some require regular testing, others don't. We've been...
We live in Michigan, where hs is very easy but unemployment is 17%, in my area. Dh is working as a contractor...in Afghanistan, to support us We've been planning to move to TN, it's beautiful, much less expensive and we just think we'd love it there, until I read the HS laws. We are seriously reconsidering now. We can't/won't stay in Michigan but may look for a new state that is more hs friendly. I was so shocked to read the laws in TN, considering how we expected...
I've worked very closely with the food stamp program and it's recipients and helped many people file for food stamps. I don't work for DHS and honestly avoid them like the plague when possible. All of the people I work with are their clients though, so I've gotten a good feel for how things work, though this question is a new one to me. First, if your friend is only applying for food stamps, does she know she can appy online at mi.gov through the helping hand link? ...
Dh and I are dreaming about moving to TN from Michigan. It's just perfect for us and our family except... I just read the homeschooling laws ?!?!? Please share with me the reality of homeschooling in TN?
My 5yo dd is not dx with anything, nor have I ever asked a professional, FTR. She is very "smart", and very "ahead" of her peers, extremely verbal (first word at 3mo), but yet lacks the ability to converse well and say what she means. She is at a loss in social situations. The key for her has been for me to explicitly guide her through every scenerio. I tell her things she can say, and what will happen here or there, and she files the information away like a list. ...
Thank you! I share many of your concerns. I had not even considered the idea that hugging/rocking/squishies may not be allowed! That is an absolute must to get through her day and her current teachers DO do those things with her. I will be asking about that next week. Will check out the link you provided. Thanks again
Hello...we have a five year old son an 2.5 year old dautghter, as well as two teen girls. The older girls wish to stay in public school, and for now, we are ok honoring their wishes. We are planning to homeschool our son next year. Our youngest daughter has ASD and can attend the local special needs preschool next year. She currently attends (with me) a toddler play group at our ISD. She is VERY bright, can recognize all of the alphabet, count to 50ish, draw well,...
Hi, I'm Amy. We have a 14 year old dd, Ally, with moderate/severe generalized anxiety disorder. We finally caved and allowed medication to be introduced this year and she's doing beautifully with it. Still in therapy and still seeking a non-med long term solution, but for now, life is good for her so we are happy. Our 2 year old dd, Ava, has been dx'd with ASD. She's doing ok devolopmentally, a little behind but nothing I am terribly worried about. Her speech is...
We've been really struggling with this decision as well. Our 2 yr old dd has ASD and is stongly suspected to have an as of yet undx'd neuro issue, waiting for insurance approval to take her to the Cleveland Clinic since they haven't found anything locally yet her symptoms scream of something. DS 5 is asthmatic and dd's 14 and 16 spend a lot of time with their siblings. Ultimately we decided to skip the flu shots. We'd never gotten them before and honestly, my big...
Hi, Sorry I haven't had internet for a few days! We have a 14 foot, enclosed trampoline and will be getting a smaller one for her bedroom for the colder months, like what she has at school. It's child sized with a bar in front to hang on to, I've seen them everywhere. Also the Ekorre swing from Ikea is $19.9 now and ROCKS!!!! Swing forward ten times, side ten, around one way ten, other way ten and then do squishies (ahh therapy) for a very happy child We have two...