or Connect

Posts by lokidoki

My pro-vaccine FB friend fanatics have been posting this right and left. What a JOY it was to come here and read this tonight! I have been sooooo tempted to say something but I long ago learned that trying to change a vaccinator is just as impossible as changing my mind about the horrors of vaccinations. It is just so darned frustrating to be up against so much big time Pharma and $$ that you see these stories -- instantly spot them as propaganda but the person posting...
We live in NC and it has not been tough for DS that is 7 1/2 years (now in 2nd grade). Not one question thus far. DS that is 2 1/2 years old goes to preschool at a church and they have not been an issue either. I was really concerned when I first started DS1 in school that we would be hammered by school nurses or asked to say home during outbreaks but so far...no different treatment that I can tell!
I just use a very basic form that states the statute for religious exemption. I had to provide one to my ped for his file for both of my boys...and then one to both the preschool for my youngest and the public school for my oldest. It was easy and to date I have had no backlash or questioning.
Hoping that their pressure did not overwhelm you. Unfortunately they were pressuring you for all their own reasons ~ and not for health reasons for your child or any potential risk for tetanus. A wound that requires stitches like that has to have bled forever...which cleansed the wound, which (as other PPs have said) negates any risk of contracting tetanus.   The vaccination does NOTHING for the current exposure risk ~ isn't effective for at least 14 days AFTER...
A couple of things to remember that are important about the risk with tetanus:   If the wound bleeds ~ the risk of tetanus is greatly reduced. If blood is present ~ it is cleansing the wound.   Any actual vaccine recommended or offered in an ER at the time of the injury will NOT protect against tetanus exposure (it does not work immediately ~ takes about 14 days to become effective). Sadly I find most ER docs/staff do not know this or do not pay attention to it...
I am in NC and do not vaccinate ~ I did not do a home birth (for many reasons health related as I had a condition during my pregnancy that thrust me onto the high risk list). At any rate DS1 and DS2 are not vax'd at all and we just file a simple religious exemption stating the statute allowing religious exemption. I list the name of my child as well as my information and sign it. I think I got the link on here as to what to include...I will dig to see if I can find...
Sorry to thread hijack...but this kind of happened to me but luckily DH was with the baby non-stop due to my directive so they did not give DS2 any formula (but they wanted to...and would have had DH not been there to protest immediately). I was induced at 36 weeks due to ICP ~ when I went in to be induced, I was already in active labor so they went ahead with my having him that night (we had thought we would be induced the next morning)...I had not eaten anything since...
Are you nursing? While I do understand it is scary at all to think of our little ones getting sick...BF helps so much at this age to ward off many illnesses (including pertussis). Many of the PPs have given good advice too but I would read the threads on here about WC and treatments...    
As for Rubella (or CRS) ~ the critical timing is the first 12 weeks of pregnancy when deformities can happen. After the initial first trimester the risk associated with CRS is drastically deminished. Rubella is also only moderately contagious ~ so a pregnant woman would have to be in direct contact with the individual who has Rubella in order to contract it. I am not sure if there are any stats out there or studies...because the chances now are so very low. Rubella in...
Whenever I find the fear getting the best of me ~ I go to reading stats on the particular things I am fearing. More often than not ~ that is enough to ease my mind and make me feel better. Sadly I think we are made to feel like vaccinating removes any chances of getting sick ~ even though we all know that is not the case ~ and for some reason gives a false sense of security. Just focus forward on how to boost the immune system and keep right on tracking along. DS1 last...