or Connect

Posts by ramama

Infant feeding studies really can't use data from third-world countries where there is rarely reliable access to safe water, and apply it to conditions in the US. And yet formula companies are actively seeking a market in these countries.  But here in the US, where we always have water and the water is reasonably safe, I can't give credence to any study saying that FFing doubles (or whatever the number) infant mortality.   The problem with the potato chip analogy is...
My first point is that formula is not unsafe.  It's not junk food.  Saying so damages lactivism.  It's elitist and full of privilege.  It will do absolutely nothing to raise breastfeeding rates.  I am a lactivist.  Really.  I breastfed my first for 3+ years and my second for 4+ years.  Once a woman has given birth, it is too late for lactivism.  Lactivism post-birth is really just woman-bashing disguised as lactivism.  What good is it to tell a FFing mother that her...
My kids are not vaccinated, and have been out of school now for 7 weeks because of a chicken pox "outbreak" at their school.  As it stands, I don't know who has had it, but if I ever come across that information, I'd like to expose the kids to chicken pox.  However, I had a very very very mild case of chicken pox as a child, and it dawned on me that I might not be immune.  At the age of 35, it's probably something I should look into, right?  LOL  If you were in my shoes,...
The short story is that my kids are unvaccinated and there's been an outbreak of chicken pox at their school and my kids can't be back in school until 16 days after the last reported case.  The first case occurred on February 18th, and now they can't go back to school until March 19th at the earliest.  Their absence as been extended twice already, so it's not unlikely that it will be extended even more.   I guess I am worried because I need to prove that they've...
That's my issue.  I don't think she's being challenged because the librarian tells them which books are their grade level (a 2nd grade level book is not going to appeal to her).  It seems like the teachers are busy trying to get everyone up to grade level, and ignoring those who need deeper instruction.  She doesn't need to learn more decoding.  She understands what she reads at home (I work at a bookstore and chose higher level books for her).  It just seems like she's...
DD just took the DORA test and scored in the upper 8th grade, which I find difficult to believe, honestly. Is this one thought to be accurate?  Are there alternatives that can be taken online?  It seems that she is not being challenged in the reading department at school, and would like something that has widely-accepted accurate results, so that I can advocate for her.  TIA!
My DD wasn't speaking at all at 1 year.  No words.  In fact, by age 17 months she said maybe three words (mama, dada, and book), so I called the public health nurse to do a home visit to evaluate her speech (our family has a history of severe speech disorder problems).  By the time the appointment rolled around a month later, DD was speaking 300+ words in sentences, including using words like "otherwise."  She literally went from 3 to 300 in a month.  She just exploded....
The mail carrier does decide when we get packages.  At least ours does.  It can be on his truck out for delivery, and if he doesn't feel like delivering it he "leaves a notice" which he actually doesn't do.  I look on the tracking site and find that he "left a notice" although no notice was left.  This happens, I might add, when we are home.  No knock, nothing.  Sometimes he delivers it the next day, but often not.  He pulls into our driveway in his truck, so it's not...
The difference between Walmart and Whole Foods is that everyone knows what Walmart is and what they're about. They advertise low prices, and that is exactly what they offer. Whole Foods, however, is deceptive in its marketing.  You think you are getting better food, and often you are not.  You think you are getting organic produce from local farmers and many times you are getting nothing better than what a local chain store offers, or even what Walmart offers.  You think...
Seriously?  Non-organic food is like cigarettes?  That is seriously effed up.  I can get a box of Annies organic mac and cheese for about the same price I can get hummus and pita at a "grocery store."  Which is healthier?    Also, you show a fundamental misunderstanding about traditional supermarkets and the communities they serve.  Oh, the evil corporations who donate craploads of money to the local schools and non-profit organizations, as well as employ hundreds of...