or Connect

Posts by Attila the Honey

I have an almost 10 year old that begs to watch all sorts of things that I consider inappropriate - American Horror Story, Walking Dead, etc.  She really loves horror and never seems to have nightmares or be terribly affected by watching scary stuff, but at the same time I don't see any reason why she needs to see violent, bloody, nasty, disturbing stuff.  I don't really have any rules like "PG only" but I stick to a case by case basis.  We let her watch World War Z (PG...
I am so grateful for the cooler weather.  It's given us a lot more energy and motivation to do things. We've been taking a lot of day trips, mostly visiting spots that George Washington visited on his visit through our region.  DD (who is almost 10) is almost star struck by this!   She is very interested in measurement again, and gathering measurements of various things with the goal of drawing them on our street with sidewalk chalk.  She's done this before, but now she...
My dd 9 loves them. She has a really big collection and aside from legos, outdoor toys and equipment, books, and art supplies they are really all she plays with. She's getting a sewing machine for her upcoming birthday for the sole purpose of making MH clothes. Their bodies and clothes don't bother me because they are, to me, just inhuman and fantastical enough to not matter in that way. I think their looks are obviously unattainable in a way that a Barbie might not...
My daughter moved into her own bed in her own room about a year ago at age 8. She wanted to before then but didn't feel able to because of a complicated living arrangement/room sharing situation. (She only had to wait a few months.) I sometimes worried she'd never be ready to sleep on her own, but she decided on her own she wanted her own space at night on her own schedule.
We are unschoolers, and right now my daughter is really fascinated by George Washington Carver, for reasons I don't completely understand.  So, she's been devouring any information she can find on him for awhile now.  That has bled out into other stuff like slavery, the civil war, abolitionists, and the NAACP, the Tuskegee Institute.. so much more.  But GW Carver is her real focus for the moment.  Tomorrow it might be back to the French Revolution (another favorite of...
In my state homeschoolers are able to get all the books and workbooks the public schoolers use. I've never personally done that, but I know of 2 families that have. Would that be an option?
It's going well here.  We are 28 days in, out of 180 days that we have to complete in our state.   She practices math facts on one of about 5 apps we have on our kindle daily, she reads everyday, and checks the Bing picture and journals about it.  She likes to really immerse herself into her interests, and right now she's learning everything she can about George Washington Carver!  (!?!)   Re. spelling - I believe reading is the best way to learn spelling.  Lots and...
I think the clearinghouse has merit and it's more than just an attempt to slam someone.   If someone is out there plagiarizing, selling a false bill of goods, setting up conferences and then refusing to refund money when the line up changes (after saying she would), offering a service where she goes to your house and then showing up and acting extremely unprofessionally and harmfully to your children...  well, then I think that information should be out there.  *I*...
I love PBH, but have not quite made the leap from reading about it and falling in love with the method to actually doing much with it.  LOL  Although, it's not really for me to do much with...I think the issue might be that dd hasn't quite yet found what she wants to do with it.  Anyway, I love reading about how others are using the book and it's ideas so I am subscribing for now. :)
As things stand now, no I wouldn't do it.  But, I would do whatever I could to make it happen.  Like others mentioned - can you get on Medicaid/state insurance in case you need a transfer?  Is there any way to cut down the cost of the trip?  Is there anything you can sell to raise funds?     $3K seems really high - is this set in stone?     How reliable is your family's income, is it at risk at all?  How long would it take to rebuild your savings?  What would you...