or Connect

Posts by Attila the Honey

I really liked this book because I felt like it's a good way to empower my daughter.  She's coming from a year of cyber schooling and I think the thought of unschooling makes her feel unmoored.  I hope that will change, I think this will help.  I know others feel differently, but I am uncomfortable with her spending a lot of time on video games and watching TV and that seems to be her "go to" activity.  This project that she is immersing herself in gives her something...
Has anyone else read "Project Based Homeschooling" by Lori Pickert?   I am reading it now and I really like it.  It's about having a child pick a project and topic and completely "owning" the work.  Planning, implementing, creating... all of it.  The parent is there to facilitate however needed, but not to push or assign work.   My husband, daughter and I sat and talked about it and everyone is really excited about it.  My daughter brainstormed in her project...
SweetSilver>  That's me!  You have a great memory.  Yes, I do think part of the anxiety is I feel this pressure to make every interest an opportunity to educate.     I know somewhere in there is the sweet spot between burning myself out and anxiety that she's not doing anything.  I just have to find it.   Thank you everyone, you've given me a lot to read and digest.  I do think a lot of what you are saying makes sense!
I've tried everything and anything when it comes to homeschooling my 9 year old - school at home, unschooling, classic education, charlotte mason and now we are using a cyber charter school.   So far we've not found the thing that works for us.  School at home and the like are just daily battles, and while my daughter likes certain aspects of the cyber school we hate others.  Mostly the problem is too much busy work, too much focus on stuff long after she's mastered...
Yes, please count us in!  We are in NW PA.
Anyone have any ideas?  We do have a couple of multiplication games on the kindle that dd enjoys, but we need some more ways to make memorization less boring.
This is my inlaws as well.  Overall they are lovely people, but they cannot seem to accept the fact that a child doesn't need "trained teachers" and lots of tests to learn something.  They are very black and white about this issue, and others.  Most recently my 9 yo went vegan and her grandparents are convinced she is malnourished and that we need to "be the parent" and tell her she must eat meat.   It must be hard to be a grandparent, you love your grandchildren so...
  This is the exact beef I have with the charter school.   I like the curriculum (K12) a lot, the teachers are fantastic, the outings are great.  However, the obsession with the standardized tests is driving me crazy.    I am 95% sure we won't be enrolling next year primarily because of this.  In our state the standardized test is only required for 3rd, 5th and 8th grade but the charter school gives it every year.  I don't want to deal with the months of test prep if she...
It's Sunday so I am going to cook a few things so we have quick and easy lunches and dinners this week.  I am making an asian slaw with edamame, seitan ribs, spoonbread,  vegan ricotta and mozzarella calzones, curried roasted sweet potatoes and cauliflower, vegetable kugel and brownies.  :)   I think we will eat the 'ribs' with greens and the spoonbread for dinner tonight.  It sounds like a lot but it is all pretty easy stuff and having it onhand will help keep us from...
Caiesmommy - oh no, hope you feel better and you eye heals quickly!   Yesterday we found a great little hole in the wall mediterranean grocery and deli.  I told the owner that we were vegan and he made us 3 big falafel sandwiches and a large container of bean soup (I think red or yellow lentils?) for $9.  We feasted until we were stuffed. :)    Today I am making a tofu pot pie and Vegan With A Vengeance's Raspberry Chocolate Chip Blondies.