or Connect

Posts by ProtoLawyer

FWIW, a friend of mine's 2-year-old son had a partial circumcision due to a congenital, urological issue I'm not fully versed in --that was, apparently, the least invasive way of correcting the problem (after trying non-invasive means for a year, and hoping he'd outgrow it). I   But, I also know someone who had her adopted son circumcised so he'd look like Daddy, which I do not understand at all, especially in this situation, because Daddy and son are of different...
My 10-month-old's first solid food was dog hair.   After that, we tried a few purees (mango and peach were liked; chicken was not) but he was more interested in the spoon than in the food. I wondered if he would ever actually want to eat...until one day, he grabbed a handful of pulled pork off my plate and chowed down.   He likes hummus, too. And yellow curry, even a bit spicy.
Hopefully this has resolved by now, but that sounds like when I got strep a few years back. (I'd never had strep before, and had long assumed I never would.)   I went to a walk-in drugstore clinic--they can do a rapid strep test for about $50. Antibiotics helped almost immediately.
Is this LO on the big side? Is she especially top-heavy? That could explain some of where she is, large-motor-wise...my almost-10-month-old son has a huge head (about the size of a 3-year-old's) and teeny feet (size 3, ish, can even squeeze into some 2's), which affects his large motor skills. He scoots backwards but can't crawl properly, and he's beginning to pull himself up to standing but isn't quite there yet--he can bear some weight on his feet but it doesn't always...
Let him play! As long as he's growing and healthy, he's getting what he needs, and he'll figure it out eventually.   We started with BLW around 6 months, but he wasn't interested...avocado made its way to the floor, ripe pear became hair gel. We tried purees a few times; my son was way more interested in grabbing the spoon and painting the dog with it. was wondering if he'd ever actually eat, and then one day, he grabbed some pulled pork off my plate and went to...
Just to update everyone--days 2-3 were the worst, then it gradually got better. By the 2-week mark, he fit right in and his sheet almost never includes "fussy" or "crying." He's napping well in his crib (my husband got photographic proof yesterday!) and eating lots (once I gave them the go-head to allow him to self-feed, that started getting better...he loves to eat but hates to be spoon-fed).   He's been OK with changes to the routine, too, like when Dad had to pick...
It took my son about 2 weeks to settle in at his daycare, with Days 2-3 being the absolute worst.    He's in full-time care, though, and he seems to thrive on chaos. (The daycare isn't chaotic, per se, but there are several babies so it's almost always noisy and active.)
I got IUD'd at about 14 weeks out, and aside from a few days of spotting after that, I've not had a visit. Not that I am complaining--we're 99% sure we're done (that 1% is why I have an IUD and did not have a ligation when I had the c-section).   We'll see what happens when the baby weans. My doctor said some women simply don't menstruate with the IUD. I no longer feel I need the montly "thank god I'm not pregnant" reminder, so this is fine by me.
50 centimeters. Off the charts by a good margin. He's 29 1/2 inches tall (so TALL), and 21 pounds and a few ounces that my husband didn't write down (a little bigger than average). The doc's not worried--Dad has a giant noggin, and baby's meeting milestones (though he's probably on the slower end of the large-motor curve, which makes sense; he's so top-heavy, with relatively tiny feet) and not showing symptoms of any disorder. Also, growth's been pretty consistently at...
I found my hand pump (it's that plunger thingy that comes with some Medela pump kits) and tried it out at home this weekend. Wholly uncomfortable, but manageable, and I won't have to haul around the PiS or find an outlet. I will carry a small insulated pack in my briefcase (though will likely not get enough for the whole day at day care) and hopefully, that will be that.