or Connect

Posts by ProtoLawyer

It's a state bar CLE conference with breakout sessions, so the good news is I won't be with my boss the whole time, and there are copious breaks to "visit with the vendors" (which, since I have no purchasing authority, I might make a quick pass through the exhibit hall to get some free stuff but that's it). No other co-workers are going.   Now that I'm thinking about it, I might have that weird hand pump that came in a pump parts kit...I'll have to look for it this...
I've called the venue and they've got jack diddly squat (even though this is a common request, apparently). They recommended me getting a room at the adjacent hotel, too, which would be in the $150 range...not worth it. I might talk to the hotel, though, and see if they can put me somewhere.  If worse comes to worse, I can manually express what I need to to feel comfortable, and use frozen milk at day care the next day (we've got about a week's worth).   I wasn't...
I have a conference in a couple of weeks. I have to go. It's local and during business hours, so it won't take me away from home (any more than usual)...BUT.   How do you pump when you're away from your workspace? I will be taking transit, so I will not have a car, nor will I be able to go and nurse during the breaks. I'm assuming that this will be typical conference hall setup, with huge meeting rooms and restrooms but nothing private and no guarantee of an...
  My stepdaughter's daycare asked the "what do you want us to work on?" question when she was 2-3 and about to move to the "preschool" room. Her mom wrote something about giving up the pacifier, but the daycare seemed to want something more like letters or colors.   My husband's the one going back to work after a fairly long absence (he finished school and didn't get a job by the time I had the baby), and for some reason, nobody ever asks him why he's working. I've been...
Yeah, I think it depends on just what your kids will accept. Some will accept "Daddy went to the doctor, had some tests, and he's fine but ouchy," and others want the details.   Does your daughter know how babies are made (specifically, what the Dad's role is)? I think that would inform my own decision. 
  Thanks.   In general, it's me dropping off, Dad picking up, because that's what the schedule can handle, but today I dropped off and will pick up because of a conflict. Then, next week, it starts up again.  
I have a tomboy stepdaughter and nobody bats an eye.   I put my 9-month-old son in a pink diaper wrap, UNDER his clothing, and people get a glimpse of it peeking out of the top of his pant waist and are aghast.   Good for the Today Show and J. Crew!
Thanks. He's a super-mellow kid most of the time, but he does get clingy when I get home regardless of who he's with.    As for why he's in a center as opposed to home care--it's a good program, 4 blocks off our bus line, and walking distance between my work and my husband's work, and they put up with my cloth diapers, too. (The dietary program is standard daycare, but the one Waldorf-y place near us that does mostly organic and all homemade is booked for the...
I remember similar conversations in the stepparenting forum--from moms upset that the stepmom did something that was supposed to be for the moms and kids (ear piercing comes to mind), and from stepmoms who did the upsetting, or who were wondering how to do things without stepping on toes (i.e. if Mom wants to be the one who takes her daughter for her first sanitary supplies, what happens if menarche happens at Dad's?). It might help to take a look back for those...
My almost 9-month-old is in his third day of group care. I went back to work (well, to a new job, but same effect) when he was 11 weeks, so he's used to being away from me and I from him. He was in my husband's care, more or less full time (with an occasional sitter for his sanity's sake), until December, when my husband launched a big campaign for office and had the baby with sitters more regularly. His sitters have included my parents and a college student at our...