or Connect

Posts by ProtoLawyer

Update: He snarfed down about 6 ounces of formula and promptly went to sleep. All's well.
Yeah...by my count, he's eaten dog hair, pizza crust, toilet paper, and blackberry soda already, all unintentionally. (Oh, and avocado, oatmeal, banana, green beans, carrots.)   I haven't heard much from my husband today (other than a text indicating everything was fine, but there's been a comedy of errors today), so we'll see what happens when we get home.
Long story short, he took our son (almost 7 months) 90 minutes away, for something school-related for his daughter. He got there and realized he didn't take the pumped milk.   So, it's off to the drugstore for (bleh) formula, probably just a pack of ready-to-use, so he doesn't have to worry about water. Not that he'll actually willingly drink it (he's had maybe 9 ounces of formula in his life, when we needed to get him through some bad jaundice and weight loss but my...
I've been letting my son (almost 7 months) self-feed, but he does seem to prefer mushy stuff to finger food stuff. So, my baby food recipes have been as follows:   1. Take healthy soft food we are eating (that doesn't contain the major allergens, but we're not going too strictly) and put it on his tray. 2. Squish it up with a fork.Leave a couple of finger-sized chunks for self-feeding if he really wants to. 3. Put some of it on a spoon, then hand him the spoon...
Yay!   I'm also back to my pre-pregnancy size, but not my pre-pregnancy shape, so I've needed new jeans with different cuts.
Hi!   Ellison will turn 7 months next week (!). He's still not doing much in the rolling department (he's capable, we've seen it, but just doesn't), hasn't figured out scooting or pulling himself up either, but can sit independently for a little bit. He's absolutely gigantic--94th percentile for length, 75th for weight, 99th for head circumference, so longer and more top-heavy, like a lollipop. It makes sense if his gross motor skills are taking longer to develop....
Eh. Food is food, supplements are supplements. That's how I see it, anyway--we feed my son real food, and use a supplement for iron (I had moderate anemia during pregnancy and severe anemia post-partum, so his stores weren't great) rather than fortified commercial "food."   Happily, I have a doctor whose philosphy aligns with mine, but the nod-and-smile thing is useful in situations like that.
My 6-month-old grabbed a handful of halwa (semolina, ghee, cashews..yeah, wheat, dairy and tree nuts all at once) off of my plate last week. Oh well. He does seem more interested in purees and mashes (halwa has a thick mash texture) than in finger food, but we skipped the thin rice cereal and went with things like avocado and banana mashed a bit with a fork, and regular oats just crushed a bit in the cuisinart and cooked. He rips the spoon out of my hands and feeds...
It works out OK in our situation, because my SD's mom works Saturdays anyway (and likes having Sundays with no work and no kid). We also switch schedules in the summer, weekdays with us, weekends with Mom, but we make the "weekend" Saturday evening to Monday evening to accommodate the work schedule. The letter of the parenting plan says Mom gets one weekend a month during the school year, and Dad gets one weekend a month during the summer, but we don't usually do much...
If we're playing a game by the rules, then no cheating and no letting anyone win. If it's a game that, due to acquired skill or physical size, I am virtually guaranteed to win, I may not play my best, but I won't deliberately throw the game (I guess you can compare that to handicapping myself). As my stepdaughter is capable of beating me outright in most sports and also games like checkers and chess, this is not much of an issue anymore. We'll see what happens with my...