or Connect

Posts by ProtoLawyer

I agree with just about everything you said (ESPECIALLY about not talking badly about the mom, or about the marriage/relationship between the mom and the dad, or about how much better your relationship with the dad is than mom's relationship with the dad was, or how much better or worse your house/car/collection of butterfly stencils is...just don't go to comparisons at all, and don't take the bait in the inevitable event the child starts unfavorably comparing you or your...
... that if, say, you are breastfeeding (not in the moment but in general), and you walk in front of an infrared camera at a science museum, you learn right away that lactating breasts are warmer than the rest of the body (and also warmer than non-lactating breasts), because they just light up bright yellow, in detail, in front of God and everyone, kind of like the backscatter-scanners at the airport, only with the monitor right there so your 8-year-old stepdaughter can...
Our recent alternative has been a sandwich or cereal that my stepdaughter makes herself. I work more than full time, my husband's running for office, and we have a 6-month-old. We do not have time to cater to her pickiness (which, she is neurotypical and does not have textural issues--I think it's mostly peer pressure and control issues), nor do we want to be eating nothing but pizza and macaroni all weekend and all summer.   And what happened this weekend? She...
  Actually, I don't--there was no way we could have kept up with the laundry at the beginning, and I think we would have abandoned cloth diapering soon enough. This gave us enough time to really see the benefits, and also get into a groove. On the upside, we now have 60 nice, soft prefolds (which, yes, if the owner ever gets back in touch with us, we will happily return or negotiate terms for purchase).
We've given E. some avocado--he's had a good time mashing it around but almost none of it made it into his mouth. He was interested in licking some avocado bits off my finger, but wasn't sure what to make of them. He kind of tongued it like a dog does with peanut butter. We'll try some other stuff tonight. We're BLW, but understanding that more traditional baby food will probably be given in daycare (my husband is running for office and E. will be in daycare in April if...
Not that anecdotes = data, but I had a membrane sweep (with my informed consent) and my water didn't break on its own. (I consented to AROM at almost-10 to help get past a lip and un-stick the baby--it worked for the lip but not for the stick).
  DDC crashing, but this is basically my story. In my case, my first stage was too fast to do much laboring at home. I woke up at 4 a.m. with mild contractions, 12 minutes apart, but by 6 a.m., they were 4 minutes apart and lasting for more than a minute. I was planning to "arrive pushing," but realized things were progressing too quickly for me to wait it out any longer. I walked into the hospital at 6-7 cm and everyone thought the baby would be out by noon. I ended up...
    I give up.   Find a scientist to say one thing and you'll find a scientist to say another. Witness: The egg. The pendulum swings between EGGS BAD! CHOLESTEROL BAD! YOU GET ONE A WEEK! and EGGS ARE PERFECT FOOD!   Remember the 80s when sugar was horrible because "science" said so and everyone ate oat bran because "science" said so? Remember the 90s when fat was horrible and everyone ate sugar-laden Snackwells? Remember just a few years ago when "carbs" were horrible...
We don't, but if we knew someone had a history of sending wildly inappropriate gifts, we would. (We're not too restrictive with things like branding, junk food, stuff we wouldn't personally buy but it's not inherently bad or unsafe or whatever, but if, say, Aunt Martha sent a copy of "Saw" to the 8-year-old, we'd be screening Aunt Martha's gifts from there on out.)
Liberal, reasonable phone access here (I'm a stepmom to a kid who's with us about 35% of the time here). We have occasional blips in the "reasonable" department (not from Mom--usually when SD wants to call as a stall tactic, or to "tattle" on us if we do something she sees as unfair), but generally, the not-there parent calls once a day or once every 2 days, and my SD can call whenever she wants (again, within reason--she can't force someone off the phone or stall at...