or Connect

Posts by CheriK

Perfect thread! Would you believe this is exactly why I'm here today? DD (12) started her first period yesterday. I'd given her a basket of products about a year ago - cloth pads, a small menstrual cup, various disposable pads & tampons(which I.had to mooch off friends - tough when your "tribe" includes mostly nursing moms & modern hippies ;-). I've only used cloth & a cup since college, so that's all she's seen around the house. She's been wearing panty liners for...
Also think child personality will heavily influence the answers you receive. My "youngest" schoolage child is a twin, and my responses for my DS vs DD would be totally different. One is a super extrovert, highly energetic, constantly needing activity & seeking out new relationships. The other is an extreme introvert, with sensory/emotional development issues (especially apparent at that age!). So my "not worried" type answers for one would have been "highly worried"...
Hi Folks,   Thanks for all the comments & sharing your experiences.    I was tested for celiac several years ago (all negative/normal), have looked into genetic testing but the cost is prohibitive.  Plus, I'm not sure why we'd need to have a test.  Either eliminating gluten helps w/ our health issues, in which case we're going to continue to avoid it no matter what a test says (just like eliminating it despite not having celiac disease), or eliminating it has no...
Where do you folks find decent bras for an 11-12 year old?  I don't like or wear bras (a camisole or tank w/ shelf bra is as close as I get), but DD feels more comfortable w/ her new body development when wearing a bra.  She's outgrown the "training" type bras, but is small statured & wouldn't fit in an adult sized bra yet, either.  We went to Target last night & I was horrified by the options.  Except for the training bras (which are just glorified tank tops, not what...
And. . . shared :-)
So many "green" changes!  We recycle (started in childhood, but not until I was a teen), buy in bulk or returnable containers, use cloth grocery bags & napkins (also cloth diapered when anyone was wearing, but both DS & I were cloth diapered ourselves, so that was just normal!), Mama cloth, at least partially family cloth, backyard chickens, belong to a CSA, make our own cleaning products/toiletries or choose safer alternatives to conventional via the Environmental...
I voted for 6 months, because most babies are ready *around* that time, but I think you need a "When BABY thinks the time is right" choice.  The best time to start solids is when your LO shows signs of readiness - sitting up on own, grabbing items & able to bring them to her mouth, becoming interested in whatever strange thing you're doing with that stuff on your plate.  2 of my 3 started themselves by grabbing food off my plate.  The 3rd we offered because his twin...
I think the concern w/ ACV is the possibity of toxin release from your body (often used in detox protocols).  There's mixed opinions about detox while breastfeeding.  One school of thought is that your body will release toxins while breastfeeding anyhow, so any healthy changes you make will decrease the total amount of toxins in your body & ultimately end up in less going to your little one.  A good detox regimine should also include liver & gall bladder support, so...
La Leche League or other super-supportive breastfeeding moms for community.  Find a good IBCLC NOW & maybe even schedule a consult while you're pregnant to discuss your last experience & develop a plan for your new little one (call around, ask about experience with latch issues, get referrals from breastfeeding mom friends. .. . just like every professional, not every IBCLC has the same experience or approach & there may be a better fit for you than the one you saw last...
I would guess that many moms, especially with older babies, would be happy to do the "sniff" test, or even taste it themselves to make sure it seem okay.  It is probably just fine - DH still pulls milk out periodically that is at least 2 years old (since I haven't pumped in at least that long) & my 4-year old happily drinks it when Mommy is not around & she's feeling sad.