or Connect

Posts by jenniepaige

Hi All, I'm hoping that I can get some insight here. I just got my first scoby last week and made some fantastic kombucha out of it. I used black tea and it tastes so great and my whole family really enjoys it. Took 6 days to ferment. Anyhow, I tried it yesterday for the first time and then I got a headache at the back of my neck up through my head. I only had about 4-6 ounces. It went away so I had some more today, a little less I guess. Now I have the headache again,...
How did the yogurt making go Pariah?
I would say it depends on how much yogurt you are making for how much starter you make. When I make it I usually do it in 2 qt. batches and use about 1/2 cup or so. It doesn't need to be specific. I have never used a yogurt maker and have made it many many times. It's really easy. I'm sure a yogurt maker would be nice, but it just incubates it which you can do yourself several different ways that are all pretty easy.
Yes I second that. The only advantage for using a starter like you bought is that they all have different strains of the benificial bacteria so they will yield a different taste. The powered kind is find and you can just use some from the batch that you just made for the next one.
Quote: Originally Posted by zinemama We eat this easy cake all summer. Strawberry Cake 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened, plus more for pie plate 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder 1/2 teaspoon salt 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar 1 large egg 1/2 cup milk 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract 1 pound strawberries, hulled and halved Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 10-inch pie plate [I use an oval gratin...
That's fantastic! I looked very seriously into it at one time. Have you hooked up with a local midwife to work under?
There are a couple of midwives in thea area and you are looking at around the 3k plus range. But like PP said, there is a great insurance program for pregnancy that is pretty easy to qualify for and I know Evelyn takes it. She's fantastic.
Beans and rice! SO good, cheap and very good for you! I make mine (most of the time) with brown rice, hard boiled egg, sour cream, good amount of garlic and other seasoning, and fresh squeezed lime! It's to die for! I generally do add meat and you can do almost anything. Suasage is probably the best in it, but ground beef works as well. This is a staple in our house.
Oh yes it's a pressure canner. I read about the low acidity thing and figured that I better go that route to be safe. I read that you can also use it as a pressure cooker too which I am equally excited about but I also read somewher that it's not a good idea because it's alluminum. Any one have any thoughts on that?
Hello everyone! I just ordered my first ever canner-a 16qt presto canner and I am SO excited! I am making some jam this weekend and I was wondering if it was ok to just let it sit for a couple days, not canned until the canner arrives, hopefully early to mid next week? I plan on canning a lot of things, tomatoes especially. And ideas, suggestion would be really appreciated. I also want to can vegetables that I can use throughout the winter. Tips would be MUCH appreciated!