or Connect

Posts by jenniepaige

Quote: Originally Posted by catnip 1 pound dried spaghetti, cooked 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil 1 pound ripe strawberries, cleaned and halved 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar (I used a reduction) 3 cloves pressed garlic Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste Instructions In a large sauté pan, warm the olive oil and strawberries over medium heat. Cook until the strawberries start to release juice. Add balsamic and reduce by about...
Count me in!
Thanks. Do you all know anything about the vitamill? It's a lot cheaper and the reviews say that the only difference is that it's louder and only has one grinding setting. Has a 5 year waranty. I have a coffee grinder but it's really small. Good for nuts and flax though.
I would love to get a vitamix. It would be the best choice but there is no way I can afford one of those. What knock off brands do you know of? I'm just trying to justify the cost of it to DH. We have been making a lot of changes lately and he isn't seeing the cost benifit yet. ie. CSA grass fed meat in semi-bulk raw milk So, yea. It has to pay for itself I think. Or at least come close. I do bake a lot and flour is expensive when you get the "good" stuff.
Yea, so I have bee reading into the nutritional value of freshly ground grains and I'm really interested. I have talked to hubby and we might have some extra $$ coming our way and I'm really considering getting a nutramill grain mill. Can you tell me things like how much you really use it, how easy it is, how much time does it take. The expense of grain vs. flour ie how much grain makes flour. Anything that you can tell me I would really appreciate it
Thank you for the info! I don't have a yogurt maker but you usually keep the temp at around 110-115 degrees. What should it stay at then? In the case where you scald the milk to make a pure starter first do you still have to heat up the milk?
I was getting it at $6/gallon in plastic jugs and this is even in 1/2 gallon glass jars making it 10 times better plus it's only 5 min away from my house! (not to rub it in or anything it's just that we just found this jewel of a farm) But where would you get the not heatet one? Never heard of it. I got my starter from a health food store and it's just the regular powdered kind.
I've been doing some reading on this topic and it seems that there really isn't a point in using raw milk to make yogurt. You have to heat it up around 185 which sort of pasteurized the milk destroying what's so great about it. But I was reading that milk is pasteurized when it is held at 30 mins at around 130 degrees then cooled down. So, is it still pasteurizing it when it goes to the higher temp. but only for a second? I saw somewhere else that you can still make yogurt...
Oh what a great idea! My fall CSA starts this weekend and I'm sure I'll be getting tons of these!
I'm not sure about eating but you should really really drink aloe vera juice. It oxygenates the cells. And when cells are oxygenated cancer can't thrive it in. You can get it at health food stores or take body balance which also has sea vegetables in it. They are a pure source of all those leafy greens as well as all the omega fish oils as well. It's one of those direct marketing things though but you can just buy the product. It really will change your life. I'm also...