or Connect

Posts by Purple Sage

You can't even see the choir during the Liturgy at my (Orthodox) church.  They sit up in a balcony in the far back of the nave, and they do not wear robes of any sort.  Also, no instruments.
I live in Austin. If you're ever down this way, I'd love to meet you!
Congrats on the new job, Lilyka!   Summer is incredibly hectic this year for us.  Two of the kids are in camp, in two different locations (same camp through the YMCA, but different age groups are at different places), so I'm driving about 3 hours a day just to drop them off and pick them up.  The heat is really wearing me out, too.  Texas summers are long and unbearably hot, and I just can't wait until it starts to cool off....maybe in October.  Ugh.  Looking forward...
Thanks for that explanation.  I think it's an unfair portrayal of Gnosticism as "the knowing" while Orthodoxy is something more, I guess, superficial, something simply established by "authority" as "facts" that must merely be assented to with the mind and not "known" in a deeper, spiritual sense.  I don't think you really grasp what Orthodoxy is, but I wouldn't expect you to without having any real experience of it.  It just always surprises me to hear it described in...
Nicolelynn, I'm curious, how do you reconcile Gnosticism with Universalism?  The link above states that the Gnostic writings were self-described as "secret" before the Gnostics were declared heretics (in other words, it was the Gnostics themselves who made their teachings secret, not that the secrecy was forced upon them).  Why was what they were teaching a secret?  Secret knowledge seems to me to be incompatible with Universalism.  It has always struck me as much less...
From what I gather, gnostics tend to think the Biblical canon was compiled in order to control people, omitting some books while including others in order to assert the Church's authority over the people and not in order to preserve the Faith from false teachings. 
  Maybe just looking at a calendar and talking about the months, saying them in order while turning the pages, isn't enough for some people.  I was just saying that it worked for two of my children (the other two are younger and haven't learned the months yet), and it's something that comes up frequently in daily life.  
My dd is turning 8 tomorrow, and she knows the months of the year.  I would be concerned if she didn't know them because it's something I know she has had many opportunities to learn in school and at home.       I think this is something that comes up in daily life quite frequently.    Whenever one of my kids asks when something is happening (like a birthday or a holiday or when grandma is coming to visit or, really, any number of events that are planned in advance), I...
  I've been thinking about this, too, lately.  John 3:10 is followed shortly thereafter with verses 14-15, which says, "And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of Man be lifted up, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life." -- an immediate example of how the OT relates to the NT.  And then in Luke 24:44-49 when He explains the Scriptures and how they all pertain to Him.  I'm kind of intimidated by the OT...
We're a family of six, and half of us are naturally on the quiet side but the other three are LOUD.    DH was just saying to me the other day (while the two loud children were being especially noisy) that he thinks we're going to be the couple who doesn't know what to do with ourselves when the kids are all grown and out of the house.  I just said, "Speak for yourself!"  I'm going to be saying, "Hear that?  No?  Isn't it nice?" ...and then go read a book,...