or Connect

Posts by smokeylo

Finding this thread is a godsend. On paper, you would think we are doing just fine, but when we subtract student loan payments, childcare, and many expenses that are coming up (old cars, old house, parking fees for my downtown job, glasses for my kid) we are living paycheck to paycheck. We have a home but our mortgage payment is reasonable (no real reason to move out, because we'd pay about the same for a rental without the benefits of, you know, having a house!). Credit...
You guys definitely need to get a group going so that when I move to Tulsa in the next year or so, I can hang with you!
DD1 falls asleep on her own. We could try having them bedshare... seems like it would be a good step to make.    I'm rather dreading this transition!! I'm such a wuss! But seriously, all the books said they'd move on at some point but my oldest is not that kind of kid. She never choses to move on. She likes things to stay just the same.   Now I'm wondering what I'll do with the NEXT kid!! 
With kids that age, you should be able to talk to them and involve them in the process. "With a baby on the way, we have to shift our sleep arrangements. How can we make this work for you guys?"    Good luck!
We have 2 daughters and have co-slept with both of them since birth. When my younger daughter was born, my husband stayed with our high-needs oldest and I moved into a different room with our baby. Now they are 4 years old and 2 years old, and we still sleep in separate beds with each girl.   After 2 years, my husband is ready to be back in bed with me. We used to have sex on the couch during naptime, but now that my oldest doesn't nap, that's out the window, and...
I'm on a listserv for parents of highly sensitive kids and this seems to be a pretty common issue. We are going through the same thing with my 4yo, highly sensitive DD. I'm hoping we can come to some solution soon!
I'm glad people have found those books helpful. They have been game changers for our family!
Thank you for all these tips, I don't know why I didn't think about the public library as a source for language learning. I'll definitely be looking into that.   I did figure out that Nick Jr Boost has games that focus on Spanish, if that's something people are interested in. The games are ok, about the same as PBS kids games, but you do pay a monthly fee.
Just wanted to say hello. I'm in a similar situation. I'm leaving a PhD program to adjunct a bit and be a Mom. I definitely think you should look into community college teaching, I really enjoy it and the pay offsets the daycare costs. It's not necessarily a career but it's nice. I'm looking for options, too!
Do Mazda 5s have a lot of cargo space? We want to have another baby, and we take long trips to visit family and we need a lot of room for those things. I like the idea/size of the 5, but worry that there isn't much storage space in the back.