or Connect

Posts by almama

I was just going to suggest getting your thyroid checked, but that is only one piece of the puzzle. I'm also an introvert who tries to be social and ends up feeling overwhelmed. It takes a lot to understand that is it OK to cut out what is too much for *you.* Sometimes I blame it on the kids (oh - they are so wired or coming down with something), but usually I just try to pace myself.
The writing process *should* be separate from the mechanics of spelling and grammar, at this stage. That does not mean that a kid should hide knowledge, but lack of it should not slow him down. That means that he may make more creative sentences than he would normally, if he is free to pick random spellings for words he doesn't know. He *will* be able to fill in the random spelling with correct spelling later. It would be much harder to teach him to be creative and...
I'm of two minds with this one - First, if you think she is bored, then yes, ask for the higher level math. She will be in a group more excited to learn and be challenged and that can be helpful in all areas of learning. Second, I think math education, generally, in our country is horrible. I would check to see if what exactly the higher level math is - paperwork and drills? Or is it actually thinking problems? You don't want to burn her out on boring, higher...
Call or send an e-mail to the teacher. I would also arrange a day (or me, I would just show up) to observe my child to understand about the dynamic in the classroom. The observations I have done in my kids' classrooms have helped me so much in understanding what is a complaint from them (usually valid, but rarely on the level of my thinking of pulling them out of school), and what is something that needs to be addressed immediately in order to make their school day...
Honestly, I would take a deep breath and make a date with him to discuss what you both need and how to get him there in a respectful and balanced manner. I would be prepared to throw everything out. You are talking about taking away things he does well in and loves to punish him. It seems that you are reacting to a crisis, instead of interacting with him to partner for his education (all this is easy for me to say, and I know it is a lot harder to do!). What is...
Here is one I made: http://splityarn.typepad.com/split_y...fun_circu.html. I have not been knitting much this summer, so I can't speak to its functionality. It was an easy project though!! Here is a website with lots of choices: http://tipnut.com/free-patterns-for-...es-organizers/
I think they are separate too. Perhaps the front piece cut with the lapel and fused to a back piece (way too tricky for me without a pattern . . .), but my guess is that it is entirely separated.
I'm sorry you are feeling so low. It is very tough and isolating to be with a high needs child and the dynamic between siblings can be overwhelming. I hope you are taking care of yourself and finding some rest. I don't know what you have looked into, but we are *adoring* Freeing Your Child From Negative Thinking. We have a very bright boy who is an angel with just about everyone but his siblings and us. The book is a bit overwhelming with strategies, and I don't...
I love the minister's idea of reading from the Quaran. I had just been thinking it would be great for lots of people to show up at the church with hoses and just spray water. People could spray water all over the country too. Honestly it sounds cheesy compared with the awfulness of the act, but it would be peaceful, dramatic and easy for people to do.
I would consider accelerating her and then planning on having her take a "gap" year. They are becoming increasingly popular, so she would not be unique. She could do something in a foreign country when she would have been a "senior" and gain incredible language experience. Honestly, I think if she is that diligent, she could pick up the work in college easily but having a world view to round it out (and perhaps some $$ to help out) might be helpful. She's your baby...