or Connect

Posts by almama

Forget it.
Thanks so much! Glad to hear you are enjoying it!
Oooo - tell me more. I have always thought freelance writing was a "luck-based" career. My background is health care and grant writing, so I have considered writing for those areas. I just did not want to get all set up for a writing career and have it fizzle due to bad luck.
Any one have one? I recently saw a job posted and was simply not qualified for it, but *could* imagine doing the hours (16 hours, mainly during the day). The career I am trained for is a hands-on, away from home gig and I really don't want to head down that path right now. I decided I am willing to get more training to do a job like the one I saw (Web Assistant), but was wondering if there was a list of other careers that could fall into these hours too. I'm...
This school needs serious help with bullying from students and teachers. My reaction would depend on how much I cared about the school and my child staying in it. If you do care about your child staying in, I would gather up information about lawsuits schools face when they DON'T address bullying properly and hound them to get a comprehensive curriculum in place. It is really important. If you don't care, I'd leave and write letters to the school board and town...
I completely agree with limiting toys, singing a clean-up song, and modeling behavior (at home and at friends). If you think about it, when adults come over for whatever, we put out some food/stuff for them, signal when it is time to go, and be grateful for any clean-up (but do not expect it). You'll be happier with a situation you can manage. You can also explain to the kids, that your rules are to put away toys after you are finished. I wouldn't hold visiting...
Quote: Originally Posted by Caneel I really have no business chiming in as I have very little kid experience outside of DS but I would be greatly bothered by what the OP is describing. I would have a hard time not being stern and vocal about my desire to not be touched or grabbed. I didn't read anyone making her feel bad about yelling or reacting strongly, not even the girl's mom. It is natural, but, as she said, she wants something that works...
Have you tried to tell kids how they can touch or be near you? "Don't pull on my hand" is not always remembered, but I really like when you come up and give me a high five and then I feel comfortable talking to you (or something like that) can be a more effective route. I would tell them too, hey, maybe I'm different, but I don't like to be touched - just something special about me and it does not mean I don't want to talk to you. Then, do you have special things I...
My gut would be to be really upset - I want to say that up front first. I agree you should talk to the actual boy's mom and let her know what is going on. I wouldn't put it as "your bad child did THIS" (not that you will, but just saying it out loud), but more as an FYI and that you don't want your child to see any more. No computers at playdates sounds like a good rule, although kids could draw a pretty graphic picture if they wanted to. Then I would work with my...
I first try the 'they can come here' line, and if that doesn't work, I just say, "I know it is crazy, but I'm not ready for it yet. How about if we go to the park or out for ice cream?" I put it on me, not the friend or friend's family.