or Connect

Posts by almama

Our hs group did craft fairs, but they were selling to a hs population. I think it would be fine for a group of any kind to organize a fundraiser (not advocating it, but just sayin' . . .), but I always like a fundraiser that doesn't give me extra junk (give me a service, food product (not CANDY), or something else I can use). It wouldn't be so weird for a hs family to have a specific fundraiser (help pay for trip to Mexico etc), but I can't imagine them doing a...
Legos are a pretty sure fire hit.
I hope you get your answer!! I *highly* suggest that if you are considering raw milk at all that you go to the farmer directly - inspect, inspect, inspect and ask a ton of questions. I would never buy raw milk from a place that I did not know inside and out. We wash our own containers too, so that we know how clean our own bottles are.
We check the child and ask if there is anything we can do to make it better. If the child says "NO" we just say, OK, let me know later if there is something. Sometimes they say sorry of their own accord. It fits with our general mantra of we all make mistakes, but what is important is to tell the truth and try to make it better. We talk about how "making it better" involves figuring out how not to do the same thing again. I don't force that conversation in the...
Well, you either need to tell the wandering kids to come back and bounce when the party is over, or let them stay; and either let the "friend" stay or call the mom to come and pick her up. If you choose "stay," then I would put the goodie bags aside for another day and give them all a thank you sticker, or pinecone or whatever. Or, just take out all the stuff, put it in a bowl and tell them all to choose one or two things. You can't let them stay and give the bags...
I agree that these women were rude . . .but . . . . . .having recently had scares with skin cancer, I think *maybe* they are reacting from personal experience. While they expressed it poorly, it may not be so bad intentioned. I found myself biting my tongue a lot this summer when the sixteen year old girl with the sunburn told me that she burns all the time, when the mom of the 4 year old told me her son only got three burns this summer, and when people told me...
One year I made a great project with "harvest colored" construction paper (red, brown, etc), glue, string and assorted beans, spices, seeds (on hand or from nature). It was really easy and I'm afraid my directions below will mess you up - so the big picture is that I folded the paper and on each piece wrote a letter of "Happy Thanksgiving" in glue, then sprinkled the seeds or spices or beans on the glue. I strung it up and hung it up and it was GREAT. It lasted 3 years...
EEE is harbored in a non-human biting mosquito. But, the chain is that the EEE mosquito can bite a bird or other animal, and before than animal succumbs, another (maybe human biting) mosquito *may* bite that bird/animal and then bite a human. So, it is not a sure thing that a mosquito bite = EEE. Also, since birds can fly long distances before they succumb, the area at risk can be huge. That being said, I would wear repellent and long sleeves and have some fun.
Lots of hard stuff going on in your world! Personally, I would respect that the 8 yo is burnt out, but be extra careful that I was not saying or doing anything to make the situation worse. I would help the 8 yo with self-talk - when your 4 yo is challenging for YOU, say out loud, "I'm feeling frustrated now (or fill in the blank), and need to take a breath. He is only 4 and has a lot of challenges. If I am patient it will help him and us." The words can be...
Here's some love and strength to you and your DS!!! Have you read the Bully, the Bullied and the Bystander? It is an excellent read (after you get past the first shock chapter) and outlines roles for everyone to play in diffusing a conflict. From what I have seen with my oldest (who is now 9), at 8 they need the safety net of parents willing to not let things go too far (as you are doing, which is great), but also skills to handle situations on their own. You may...