or Connect

Posts by almama

Levothyroxine, and most other synthetics, only give you T4. Most mainstream docs feel that is all you need and for many people it works fine. Armour Thyroid, and other natural treatments, give you T4 and T3. For those of us who *need* T3 to process the T4, it is an amazing difference. I was on Synthroid for two years and will never go back. I just got a call from my pharmacy saying Armour was discontinued (not true - I followed up with manufacturer) and told them...
Having been through a big move with extra emotional kids, I know it is hard. I would definitely put it to age and situation, BUT I would also try to work on frustration and feeling ID tools (not when he is *very* upset, but more calm). Help him figure out how his body is feeling before he reacts (heart beating, feeling like yelling?), figure out the situation (too much noise?, not enough downtime?), and a strategy. It will help you *immensely* when he gets...
My kids violin teacher does just what you said - except you "rent" a violin for the first 3 months, since that is about how long it will take to figure out if the kid is really up for the work. Then we bought the violin, with the rent figured into the cost. It was used, so it was about $95 total. Then, when he upgrades, we will trade in the old one and get a discount on the new one. Did I tell you I love their music teacher
For us, the craziness comes having multiple children (3), who like to do different things, and, having homeschooled for three years prior to school, we parents PREFER the extra activities to school. That being said, I look at it as a schedule for the kids (do they have a huge chunk of do nothing down time each day/week) and us (are we going crazy and therefore not being the parents we want to be). So, I try not to sign up the kids for too much, but it does feel like a...
Dragon Rider. Amazing book - lots of fun to read. There is lots of excitement, but no harm and only one really bad character (who was made to be bad). My 4 yo hung out with us while we read it and was fine as long as I looked ahead each chapter and told him all would be OK.
Kale Crispies rock. We have been using LOTS of kale with this recipe: http://www.ehow.com/how_2319879_carr...e-muffins.html
I subbed it for spinach in Spanikopita and it was great.
Quote: Originally Posted by Storm Bride Unless I completely misread the OP, she didn't call her son a stupid brat. He said he thought that's what she thought. (Okay - that seemed overly convoluted. The OP's ds put the words "stupid brat" in her mouth, I think.) My misreading -sorry!! I think my point stands though that these kids often criticize themselves so much that parents need to be super sensitive to it. I have heard lots of people...
I have a boy with (ahem) not so great behavior at times, so I can relate. We have been all over the place with him and now have targeted it at situational anxiety (which leads to depression when he does something he is not proud about). Initially, and continually, we work with him to use the correct language to describe his feelings ("I hate you!" tells you nothing. "I feel overwhelmed when there is so much noise and I am trying to concentrate" is much more helpful and...
Curled dock (also called curly dock and yellow dock) has fantastic stores of iron. The best source is in the root which needs to be made into a tea or other. Yes, it is the weed that grows all around. We eat the leaves when they are young. They make a great soup. My kids and I just used the seeds to make crackers. http://www.answers.com/topic/curled-dock http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...eficiency.html