or Connect

Posts by almama

I think that anxiety, leading to depression, is my son's main issue. Everything seems to stem from that. We've tried lots of things and some have met with success, but when things are challenging for him he forgets a lot. We've tried food elimination (testing, gluten, eggs), gaba, fish oil, anything. He see a therapist intermittently, but because he can hold it together in many situations, no one is super concerned. We get it full blast at home though. It is...
Ditto on asking a WAHM here. PJs are super easy to sew if you know what you are doing, and can be easily adjusted for thin waist, long legs. For my son, I made the pants and then bought shirts on Land's End (some regular shirts that just fit the pants theme, other ones I cut some fabric from the pant fabric to make a few appliques). They go together great and he loves them.
Glad you found someone who understands your child!! Where on Hoagies do you find recommendations for professionals?
I *think* these people: http://www.allianceforthegifted.org/scholarsnh/, considered a charter school, but have gone private. You could e-mail them to find out the climate for other schools. There are two Waldorf schools in our area and while they are not cheap, they also do give scholarships. It is also common for parents to work at private schools for free or reduced tuition. I have heard some very creative things.
We go through this from time and to time. I know they love each other, but they can be brutal, especially the older one. In the big picture, I tried to hone in on the behavior and need and give him words for it. "What you want to say is: "I want to be alone right now." "I need quiet right now." There is usually something specific going on when he says something mean. Then I try to reward the positive a lot. Any help, any good words get me bright, happy and...
I really like the Addison Art Gallery (free!) in Phillips Academy in Andover. Older kids can appreciate more, but for younger ones there are model ships in the basement. They have a neat walking path around the back of the school too. There is great hiking in Andover - I don't remember all the names, but the Trustees of the Reservation keep some of the sites. One is a quick hike which gives views of Boston from a solstice formation! There is Smolak Farms...
The thing about thyroid stuff, I have found, is that it is very individual what a person needs and how they will react. Mainstream MDs don't really buy that a lot of the time. If Synthroid is working for you, it seems a good idea to stick with it. For me, Synthroid did not work well. I could not take the dose I needed without getting really whacked. Really weird things were happening and my mainstream MD just blew them off. I searched out someone open to Armour...
I've used both - what are you experiencing that you need to change?
One really important thing to do is to randomly put high value food (real meat, etc) into his bowl while he is eating. Your son should do it too (although you should start it). You need to reach your hand way down into the bowl while you do it. It trains the dog not to be worried about you near their food. Same with treats, bones, etc. Pick it up randomly and replace it with something good. Your son should do it too. Also, make your dog sit and wait for everything.
While I totally agree it is very good to be cautious and follow up with the proper docs, I want to insert a note of calm too. *Sometimes* it is a very emotional kid who wants to show you how profoundly sad or upset he is feeling and used the words he *thinks* are appropriate. I am writing this because at the time, it is good to keep it low key and say "hmm, I think you want to say you are very sad, or you need some special time." You will be giving them words for...