or Connect

Posts by Violet2

Okay, ladies thank you for your input. It's good to know I'm on the right track. This stuff is a lot more nuanced than I ever imagined especially with the special needs aspect to it. V  
My DD is 5 and gifted as well as special needs. She has dyspraxia and spent her toddler years dealing with gross and fine motor delays. Dyspraxia also comes with executive function, learning disabilities and emotional issues as well as overlaps with ADD.   We haven't yet sorted out how much of the cognitive stuff she's going to be dealing with, although dyslexia and dyscalculia don't seem to be an issue so far. However, she has a lot of anxiety and we're going to be...
My DD is very similar. She 'masks' pretty well until she knows you and then watch out! (She threw her shoes at the PT their last session and then sobbed for an hour b/c she felt terrible about it.)   We just had our EI assessment and I was actually surprised at how well they picked up on nuances of DD's behavior. I am so happy that they are going to help her.   To your question, I have no idea what you should do, but I think EI help is good.  For us, I know...
DD (3 1/2) has been labeled with developmental delay (cause unknown at this time, so no diagnosis) and is receiving both private and school system OT/PT for gross and fine motor deficits as well as SPD. She is a sensory avoider and I'm struggling with how to help her.   Here is an example of a common interaction I'm trying to figure out how to handle:   DD: Can I watch cartoons? (Her favorite way to 'tune out'')   Me: No. Why don't you play with your toys...
Thanks! We are going to try and borrow my Dad's Wii (they aren't using it) just to play with it a bit.   DD needs to be active plus work on balance and core strength, which have been areas of weakness for her. Trying to get her to stop falling and need something fun to reinforce PT (so far, fun does not include momma making a hopscotch course out of blue painter tape in the hallway, sigh).   I'm really leaning toward Kinect.   V
I must be clueless b/c this isn't in the FAQ so everyone else must've figured it out.   But how do I edit my out-of-date signature?   V
I don't know why I'm sharing this. I think I just want some of the more experienced mommas to give it a glance and let me know if there's any tweak you would give or if I'm making some major gaffe somewhere.   This is in answer to 'what else do you want us to know about your child'   DD (3 1/2) has had problems with her left leg since she started walking. It would often (and still does sometimes) buckle under her, taking her down.  However, it did not register as...
Does anyone use a Wii or Kinect to foster gross motor skills? Which do you prefer?   DD needs more than just PT and activities like dance. Especially in the cold months where we can't get outside as much.   Thanks V
I'm not unsympathetic to the other child, but there's not a lot I can do for her. She sounds like she has amazing leadership qualities and is probably very bright and I am thinking her parents probably have their hands full. Hopefully the teachers have the skills to focus that quality in a positive direction.     V
Okay I actually ran into another mom today from pschool and it is not my DD, this other child has a reputation I guess.   The bday party was the trigger event, everything has stemmed from there. It was a nightmare. I am almost 40 and I was traumatized. We have not been to a bday party since. If I don't know you and love you like a sibling, I'm not accepting any invites to your kid's party. Sorry. Not enough alcohol in the world for that.   So the mom is more...