or Connect

Posts by Luvourlives

Quote: Originally Posted by Marisol What was your process for steaming in the microwave before you discovered the steam bags? I've been doing it the same way for years with no complaints. Veggies in a bowl with some water, and maybe a shake or two of dried minced onion. Put plastic wrap over the top and microwave for 5 minutes or so. Drain off water and throw a pat of butter on top. *shrug* I've never had the steam bag ones. Maybe I'm missing...
I am completely addicted to those ready to steam bags of veggies that you just toss in the microwave for 5 minutes. They are quick easy and taste way better than the frozen veggies I was steaming myself in the microwave. My kids are much more agreeable to eating them too. But they can be SO expensive, even on sale. And the portion in the bag is often a tad large for our family so there is also some waste involved. This is perhaps a stupid question but how can I cook...
We used to live an an 800 sq ft apt as a family of 5. It worked fine for us except for the winter when it wasn't as easy to just ship the kids outside. Its really easy to trip over each other in a place that small. Would I do it?? Maybe, but I have come to really require personal space and can't tolerate feeling crowded. Everyone is different though, I think it is really a personal decision,
Quote: Originally Posted by beanma I have never found a great place for the kids' lunch bags when they bring them home. They usually end up on the kitchen counter. We don't really have a mudroom, so I think they should probably stay in the kitchen, but I'm not sure where. Where do you keep your kids' lunchbags? To hijack my own thread, on a somewhat related note, we're in the planning stages of a kitchen reno. What organizing features would you like to...
I am there with ya with my dh. He has never asked me what I did all day but if I don't point out what I did do, he would never ever notice. For stocking up, we need to as a matter of economics but when I plan the groceries and then put away the groceries I have to go thru the pantry and clean out/ reorganize the pantry and fridge. I am "lucky" though....I am "forced" to do it...otherwise our groceries would never all fit!! Great job!!
Well it sounds to me like you are doing really well. Company ready in 15 minutes is awesome!! As for the carpet, can you afford a professional cleaning? Or can you get a cheap area rug to throw down over a lot of the area? I would finish your painting and call maintenance. Don't be afraid...you have made alot of improvements and they got the benefit of seeing your home at its worst, now let them see it at its best! I think neglecting maintenance is more likely to cause you...
Quote: Originally Posted by Ksenia It sounds like you are doing great with home management . I don't have children as old as yours, but I guess my concern would be to put the relationship that I have with them first, and my expectations around chores second. It is reasonable for you to expect them to help, but excluding a child from sharing a meal might have unintended consequences IMO . I can see your point and appreciate your concern; dinner...
Quote: Originally Posted by Ksenia Are you doing morning and evening routines? Are you picking up and cleaning up after yourself? Is your home in order -- decluttered and functional? Yep, I do have a morning and evening routine, and I follow them religiously. I do clean up after myself, and our little one. I think our home is 90% funtional and pretty well decluttered as we went from living w/ no storage to a home with very generous storage and I...
That all sounds awesome. In addition to the no leaving a messy house, last summer dh (who was home during the mornings while I worked) had a rule that they did all the cleaning in the morning and then they would go swimming (or play video games if the weather was bad). Everyone was really motivated to get the house in order so they could swim. Nice thing is if everyone is out of the house swimming they aren't making a mess inside!! You can replace swimming with whatever...
UPDATE: I am trying something new to motivate the kids. They haven't received allowance in a long time because we would try and set one up but they wouldn't tow the line to be worthy of earning anything. So (using monopoly money for dollars and pennies to repesent quarters) they are beginning each week with $7. To receive this they are expected to do a good job with all the tasks in our control journal, help watch thier sis when needed...like if I need to step out and...