or Connect

Posts by rosadesal

not really sure how to word that subject line. i'm reading through here, and while i've had my times of absolute chaos and anger with my ex (among other things), for the most part we are on great terms now. in many ways, i have a hard time identifying as a single mother, because he and i are partners. we have a system that works for us (finally) with visitations, we split custody, and have never gone through the courts - we were not married, though, and split when dd was...
Quote: Originally Posted by vanislemama Thanks everyone, for your insights. I really value them. Update is that we had a really decent talk about a lot of things, and I feel much better about the dating stuff. We both know so clearly now that we're not the right match for each other, so really I can't resent him for wanting some companionship. He and I both feel disillusioned about marriage, apparently, so although he is ready to date casually he...
Quote: Originally Posted by Seasons There are a lot of them. An entire, written-for-laypeople but based-on-sound-extensive-studies book: The Unexpected Legacy of Divorce: A 25-Year Landmark Study (2000), Wallerstein. "While there has always been consensus that divorce is devastating to children, experts said Wallerstein's study further illustrated how feelings of loneliness and abandonment last long into adulthood, resulting in relationship issues....
sunraye i PMed you. meesh - neener neener you know everyone. queen jane - have you had to deal with your son's dad much?
does anyone really struggle with that? maybe its moreso because i grew up going back and forth between my own parents who lived just a few blocks away (wonder if i would have felt differently if there was a few cities between?), but it kills me having to pass dd back and forth. i fear resentment and the adjustment from home to home is awful. she's been calling me daddy all day....which is fine, but i see the changes in her behavior on the day she comes back after the...
ooooh. my ex is moving into a new apartment with his girlfriend of two months, he says she's "the one." oh, i remember being "the one." and the girl before me. and the first one after me that he was about to buy a house with. gah. i'm trying to remind myself to be thankful that they are getting a BIGGER apartment, and grace will have her own room, but at the same time it's really scary because i can barely afford for us to share a room and he's got this woman (and her...
Quote: Originally Posted by meemee be prepared for the future though. my dd mourned not having daddy and mommy together at 5 - 3 1/2 years after we split. she does not even remember all of us living together. it started at 2 because she wanted to spend time together with both of us - adn even after almost 6 years we are not even close to that. meemee - i have to ask - how do you explain it to dd? i'm not sure when mine will start asking; right...
i am going through this too, or at least am in the beginning stages. it was very helpful to read your post, and i'm so sorry. the best advice i've been given thus far is to create the most comfortable space possible both with you, and also in the transition...picture a tunnel, if you will. i don't want my daughter to know how uncomfortable the situation makes me, i want her to feel like she has a peaceful path between homes no matter how pissed off i am. keep in touch,...
hopefully this is the right place to post this! i'm looking for single mothers in the metro detroit area for some support and company. i was never married to dd's father, so things are a little sticky over here sometimes and most of the information i've found in books or through friends has been directed towards divorcing couples. most coffee nights are hard for me to attend because of work, but i don't want to miss out on the community and would love to chat with some...
does childcare before 7am exist???? i drove past meadowbrook learning center on geddes, but they don't open til 7 and i start work at 7. i'm looking for a few mornings a week for my daughter (almost 2) to be around other children, starting probably next month. this will vary each week depending on my work schedule: i either work 7am-330p, or 12-830. the later days she'll be with her grandma, and i usually work 2-3 early shifts/wk. any recommendations of places to look that...