or Connect

Posts by MsBirdie

I call my mother mama to this day.  My DH calls his dad Jerry after "Jerry Seinfield", his real name is Paul.  I think attitude is more important than a label. 
Hello ladies,   My husband and I have decided to HS our oldest again next year. We HSd her for Kindergarten. She would like to be back at home, and we are fine with that.  I will be unschooling science and history (make it more interest driven), but, I would like something that gives us some structure for English and Math in case she would like to return to school at a later date.  Her current school follows Singapore; so, I was thinking I should stay with that, or...
Have you looked into the Indigo Homeschooling group.  I heard there is a great variety of different homeschoolers in that group.
I remember staying up till 2 am, playing super mario brothers, and eating a whole box of good humnor bars.  Good times!!!!!   Growing up, I was an only child with the calm quiet house that was pristine.  My BFF was one of four in a big NY Italian family.  There were usaully at least 8 kids over at a time at her house.  I loved going to her house, she loved coming to mine beacse she said it was so quiet clean, and she had privacy and attention from my mom.  So the...
OMG  I can sure relate.  Sometimes I would be tempted to drive off (Not really, but you know)   I have a 9 year old DD as well.      I am so tired of the negativety, manipulation, and moodiness I am ready to scream.  Just today DH and I were joking that we wish we were back to changing diapers and waking up every two hours, that was easy : )     We did find out our DD has anxiety issues so we are working with someone to help us learn how to help her with...
I am a big thrift shopper as well as shopping the sales.   I am a big focuser of quality on clothes, and I have clothes in my wardrobe that are over 5 years old and still look great becuase they were high quality items.    I give myself some rules to follow.  I will pay no more than 10 dollars for a shirt/skirt for myself 20 dollars for pants or a dress and 10 dollars for jeans.  For my kids I give myself a $5 peice $10 outfit perameter as well.  This allows me...
As far as choosing schools, I would pick what is best for you as a family, not where friends go.    My DD is in older elementary school and over the years has had many friends move, friends who were once friends become adversaries, and ones she never thought she would like be best friends.  I guess I am saying that friend dynamics change so much over the years, it is better to make choices about the curriculum, environment of the school, teachers, and how situations...
I agree.  If you love everything else about this school maybe bite your tongue and wait and watch.  If this incident is not isolated, I may look for another school. I would keep an eye out for how everything else is.  I would probably tell the Principal the changes I made, and that while I understand fostering independence I did not appreciate the unprofessional way the situation was handled.  This could cause backlash, but I probably could not keep my mouth...
As far as the uniform issue, I get that teachers cant help all students with buttons etc.  So pull on options would be good.  I know Gymboree has a uniform legging pants as does lands end.  Skirts with bike shorts can also be an option for warm weather.       As far as attitude of the school, that is UNBELIEVABLE!!!  They could have said, "I think your DD needs an easier uniform option until she can manage buttons. "  Wow, wasn't that easy.  Instead of that bull...
Wow sounds like the teacher has a lot to deal with.  I agree with PPs idea of going to principal, special ed, Gate teacher (whoever is appropriate) and stating that your chilld needs to be accomodated but not putting the focus on the teacher.    Does it seem like the school as a whole has these issues or is it just that class?  That could change your course of action.  This does not sound like a typical 1st grade class I have seen. However, I have a friend who works...