or Connect

Posts by annab

I am a yeller in recovery. I still slip up. I did today. For me, it is a roar of frustration. On my better days....I remember that anger is rooted in fear. If we are angry, we are fearful. Big mess to clean up? Angry/fearful because I feel I may never get to do what I want again. Disobedient children? Fearful that I will be judged by their actions, that we will be late, that my children have no respect (love) for me. Messing with my stuff? I fear I will never...
I am looking for a secular character curriculum for my kindergartener. While we talk about things like respect, honesty, courage, determination, etc, I would like to have something more concrete. He is a 'read-it-keep-it' kind of kid, so if there were some paper-based activities, I think would help us. That also gives me something concrete to use to say, "Remember when we talked about patience and you (colored, drew, wrote).......What you did there with your sister was...
We are doing several bits of curriculum for K. I am using Project WET and Project WILD I love the books by the Butzows. Teaching Science Through Literature, Teaching the Environment through Literature, etc. We watch Magic School Bus. We watch MythBusters. We spend a lot of time on how and why things work (and sometimes don't).
Quote: Originally Posted by rmzbm Good point. It irks me to no end how some parents think their kids need to respect the teacher, just cuz they ARE the teacher! : BS. I don't want my kids blindly following ANYONE, myself included. Dangerous way to set a kid's life up. I don't know...my favorite bumper stickers says: Question Authority but not your Mother :-0
Thanks to all the mamas, ESPECIALLY MEG MURRY, for taking the time that I did not have available to craft such well-constructed, eloquent responses.
Noticing OP has not returned....
Ok, well. I think most everything has been covered. My kids are in a Tae Kwon Do school that has more diversity in one class than they would ever get from our school, which is just as hotwings described. Jasper--seriously....how much diversity are my kids going to get from a classroom where everyone except the boss is the same age? In our district no one would dare say they were not a Christian, whether it was true or not, and everyone is treated as though they are...
This is such a hard one. All of our math manipulatives are on the top of the piano, but any other math items are in the living room. No logic. Art stuff is all on one shelf. I see that as progress toward something. Books are freakin' everywhere, but I like that. My notes and planning and record binders are in the office. What I want is something like this: IKEA I want to have a portion that is behind doors, but some of the books and frequently-used items on a...
I just read a really good book. Homeschooling Our Children; Unschooling Ourselves. She did a lot of game playing, real-life application when her children were younger. In the end, when the kids decided to go to college, they learned the math that they needed for the ACT/SAT. What I currently do is based on his interest at the time. I may create a sheet of problems for getting Captain Jack Sparrow back to his boat that involves skip counting. I have made some...
If part of the issue is your 'guilt' over not reciprocating, why not send snacks for everyone over with DD? You could send a little card to the mom, "I am sorry I cannot host as often as the girls want to see each other, but I am happy to send along treats for everyone. Let me know if there is a time when it is important to you that I have the girls here." You acknowledge the imbalance, you try to fill the gap and you extend the offer to have them if there is a time...