or Connect

Posts by annab

Quote: Originally Posted by phathui5 "Aunt ____, to make sure that sndd's feelings aren't hurt, I can't take gifts for younger dd unless sndd is getting something nice too. I'm sure you understand." I think this is perfect. I would put at stop to the gifts altogether if she cannot be fair. No need to wait for DH. When it comes to our kids' feelings, we cannot wait for that perfect moment. I hope that it is a case where she does not...
Quote: Originally Posted by usolyfan I agree! Can you expand on this? I am not trying to start a debate, but I have heard others say that they won't let their kids do HP, and I don't understand why not. I started this poll because I realize that some elements are not appropriate for every age, but I don't understand the underlying reasons for never doing it.
Quote: Originally Posted by katheek77 At least HP presents women in strong roles (Hermione, Professor McGonagall, etc). I'm not sure I'd show the movies as young as I'd show (or read) the books. Books have always been different to me...there'sbeen a big difference in my mind regarding books vs. movies. I do love how the female characters turned out. After the first, I thought, "Oh geez. Another fairy tale/Disney theme where mom is only a...
I love HP, and I am excited to share with my DS, but I am not sure when he will be ready. We have shown him the movies 1 and 2 with a lot of editing for content and intensity. But today he wanted to watch 1 again, (DH is reading the book) and we sat with him through it, ready to fast forward. He was not bothered by the intensity or themes, and I did not see anything that I was not comfortable showing him. I don't think I am ready to share the dementors with him, and...
I have one of those. I would guess that you have a very extroverted child and that you are somewhat more introverted. Extroverts process the world by verbally bouncing everything off of another person. It is their energy source as well. My little chatterbox drives introverted DH crazy, but as a fellow extrovert, DS and I are happy to have each other. There is never silence in our house. Not ever. You might check out Mary Kurcinka's Raising Your Spirited Child and...
I pick up cheesy experiment books. Sometimes Target will have them in the $1 section at the beginning of the school year. I check the Scholastic website for their workbooks. About twice a week, we do a project of some kind. DK has several good science books that I got at the library. We also are part of a science club, which is a subset of our homeschooling group. We got together similar age group and each week a different family hosts and we do experiments. ...
I feel called to a different destiny, and having to put that on hold is hard.
Signing Time has a really cute song about LMNO LMNO (LMNO) (LMNO) You know we’re more than just one name (LMNO) You know we’re not the same (LMNO) Give us each a little credit Pay attention when you’ve said it All in a line Give us each time Let’s say it again (LMNO) 4 in a row, a perfect fit With our own sounds and benefits So much better go much farther If you work a little harder Let’s say it again (LMNO) (LMNO) We’re more than just one...
For imaginative play, you cannot beat painting a refrigerator box to be a rocket ship. DS did that this year at pre-K. They put an old keyboard in there as well and used some butter tops for dials. Do you have a local rocket club that launches regularly? You can sometimes go to a launch. We have one that does something about once a month. You could check for kids bios of John Glenn, etc. Were you somewhere to watch the lunar eclipse tonight? Did it clear up...
I got up to find DH, who usually makes breakfast was gone, so I gave the kids each an apple while I showered and they played with blocks. Made breakfast. Checked yesterday's high temp to see if DS or the groundhog won. Got every dressed. Met friends for bowling. Met daddy for lunch. DD napped while DS and I read and did some BOB books. DD got up and they watched a DVD while I gathered books to sell on ebay. Did some MUS. Started our discussion...