or Connect

Posts by annab

Quote: Originally Posted by dharmamama I wonder then who should pay the school tax? Only those whose kids go to the schools? If homeschoolers and private schoolers do not have to pay the tax because they don't use the schools, then anyone who doesn't have kids in school, like the retired, the childless, and those whose kids are not school aged, should be exempt too. Then the schools are no longer public schools. They are basically subscription schools,...
It is available very cheaply on ebay right now!
Quote: Originally Posted by mags I don't see why HSing would be a write off. You cannot write off tuition from sending your kids to private school, so why should HSing costs count too? I also agree with the other poster, I'd rather not have to deal with the gov't and have them meddle with the way I educate my children. The argument is that schools are funded by property taxes and not income taxes. Most taxes are set up to tax you for services...
Quote: Originally Posted by oliversmum2000 ok, so it is 8pm and all 3 children are wide awake and unable to sleep - the 4pm - 6pm birthday party (with a couple of friends not leaving till 6.30pm) has caused all the havoc the book says it will. : i think i will focus on the older 2 and once they are sleeping let the baby have a little more play time in her room while read my book them try to put her to bed again. oh well - birthdays dont happen...
I would love to share our success! We actually had a phone consult with Mary Kurcinka about my son's behavior. He was disrespectful at home and at preschool. He is very much a Spirited Child, and we have used that book for the past year, but around Christmas, we were out of our tree with him. The first thing she asked was how much sleep did he get. We quickly determined that it was not enough. DH and I always have kind of poo-poo'ed the whole idea of a...
Changed our almost five-year old's life. Still working on getting the two year old to fall asleep.
Our son has horrible food allergies. One gram of dairy protein, and we are screwed for three or four nights. Does this sound familiar? http://robeth.com/MilkAllergy.htm
Quote: Originally Posted by KariM His goal is to go to college and he'd prefer to finish high school quickly. He was on track to an early high school graduation and was taking eight courses when he was in public high school. He's about two years ahead of his public high school peers in mathematics and science. It sounds like he is unschooling, in his own way. He has formulated goals and has created plans to get there. It may not be what you...
Quote: Originally Posted by simple living mama He sounds like a bright kid. Have him read The Teenage Liberation Handbook: How to Quit School and Get a Real Life and Education and try to encourage him to give himself assignments. You must be a very insightful and bright woman--that is exactly what I was going to suggest!!!
Quote: Originally Posted by zeldamomma I think you're right that it won't happen everywhere. Another reason is that the KIPP model (which I believe these schools follow) sends kids home with 2 hours of homework, on top of the long days, and all their teachers' cell phone numbers. The kids are encouraged (required?) to call their teachers for help if they have trouble with an assignment. There aren't very many teachers who are going to be willing to...