or Connect

Posts by abigail_b

Hi All, Both my husband and I work full time. I was able to work 3 days per week from home until a few months ago, I am now full time in the office. Our children- ages 6 and 3 attend a Waldorf school, and our son will be starting first grade there in the fall. We have a nanny who started with us in October. We are extremely happy with her. Part of the deal was that we allow her to bring her 5 year old daughter with her to work. This has worked out just fine. She and...
We have a nanny and yes we pay her for sick and vacation days. It is her job...and I don't believe in jobs that don't include some paid time off.
Hello,   My son is 6 and is in a mixed age waldorf kingergarten. Luckily we have a really sweet group of children but I have seen this with other families we know- when a child has much older siblings it can "awaken" them early. My son is very sensitive and shy, and this would be hard for us. The reason I am responding to your thread is to let you know that this is not how a Waldorf classroom should be, and it needs to be addressed immediately with the teacher and...
I am SO glad you decided to pull her out. Considering that she is 3 years old, I don't think homeschooling even should enter into the equation. She is far too young to "need" school. It sounds like you are able to get her some social exposure to other children in the meantime, which is great. My heart was breaking for her hearing how upset she was...there is mild separation anxiety and then there is behavior that tells you "I am not ready, don't make me do this,...
Hi Everyone,   My son is about to turn 6 and we are looking at birthday gift ideas. He has always been a "train" child and has an extensive Thomas collection. He is REALLY interested in electric trains now...but from my reading he is not really old enough yet for those sets. So, I am looking for train sets for this in-between time of "starting to outgrow Thomas but not old enough for hobby trains". Some quick research suggested Playmobil and Lego electric sets. Does...
Okay I found reference to the studies I was speaking of. http://www.thewholenetwork.org/14/post/2011/08/the-development-of-foreskin-retraction.html  In many cases it doesn't even happen until puberty.   Dr. Sears info was outdated and based on a flawed study. Don't let them force you into anything! The article I linked to has tons of citations, so you should be able to get what you need for your appointment.
I am looking for the same thing. I read a study once- I thought I got to it through Mothering- that demonstrated that it is very normal for boys to not retract until they are older...many not even until they are age 8. My son is almost 6 and not really retracting yet. I was hoping to come here and find the study....  
Your son is totally normal. You should be working on fostering his imagination, not his retention of "academic subjects". You may want to check out this website: http://www.allianceforchildhood.org/, specifically this article: http://www.allianceforchildhood.org/sites/allianceforchildhood.org/files/file/crisis_in_early_ed.pdf He has a long while to go before he should be reading and writing.   Here is the quote at the beginning that fairly well summarizes the...
Hi All, My daughter is 2.5 and in the fall will be joining her older brother in a mixed age Waldorf kindergarten. She will be going for full days (until 2:30) which means she will be taking her nap around 1:00 PM (at school). She is also doing a little bit of camp this summer with her brother, and since we're picking her up at 12:00, she is also having to nap at around 12:30- 1. Her normal routine is to nap around 11:00 in the morning (sometime even a little earlier),...
Just curious and looking for some ideas for Christmas this year. We are fairly natural-minded and our son is in a Waldorf Kindergarten. He does have some plastic toys such as legos (small set that he just got for his birthday in Sept). We have a wonderful assortment of wooden toys- kitchen, farm etc and also lots of thomas the train and tracks. Also lots of cars and trucks, animals, bugs etc (loves spiders!) His grandparents got him some pepo knights for his...