or Connect

Posts by mango*mama

It seems borderline questionable to do STD testing in early pregnancy, given that someone could become infected closer to the due date, if that is a concern for the woman in question. If there is no treatment for irregular pap results, then I think it's just a matter of doing it for convenience. I personally find them uncomfortable and have had them lead to spotting so I can understand wanting to postpone them.
I think that low cut styles work well, anything that doesn't go above the hipbone. Try to avoid any with the big elastic band style. I have a couple pairs of Maternity, but I think they are only slightly more stretchy/soft around the waist than others.
Ah. I have read this yes. I did read something suggesting washing after a bowel movement, and also a tea tree oil / cotton swab suppository. Thanks for the reminder.
Thank you for your responses! I am not interested in "tricking" the test; I want to kill the bacteria and strengthen my system. I did read about Japanese study on yogurt, but perhaps some people use yogurt on a tampon, so it's not so....liquidy!
I have been reading about inserting yogurt and garlic vaginally to kill bacteria including GBS. I am curious about the results this might have at the GBS test, in terms of unusual milky discharge or strong odors, and if OBs/midwives who have not specifically suggested one of these protocols would be alarmed by either of them, or if it wouldn't actually be a problem. Could those who have tried either of both of those procedures please comment? Thank you.
Quote: Originally Posted by Bea I get confused about this one too. It's an American thing apparently. My son was born in the States, in hospital, and they shoved a hat on his head within minutes of birth. I think it might be another odd Americanism like eye drops for neonates. Apparently, a newborns survival here is dependant on his wearing a hat despite no one else in the vicinity wearing one. .... I have no idea how babies in other countries...
I was not supposed to co-sleep. But the typical hospital bed was in my opinion quite unsafe for co-sleeping -- very possible for the baby to slip through the sides. I held/nursed the baby a great deal, and barely slept as the hospital was very loud and it was always possible to wake up before the nurse came in.
I am considering homebirth in southeast Michigan. I'm low risk, not 1st pregnancy. I am curious what the standard "procedure" is to have a backup plan in case there is a need for a hospital transfer. Specifically, do people go meet with various OBs/CNMs that deliver at a nearby hospital and discuss matters with them? Do people agree to this, that you don't already have a relationship with? Are CNMs (for example the U of M midwives) willing to do this, or do they want to...
Some to consider.... "Liliana's Grandmothers" by Leyla Torres "I love Saturdays y Domingos" by Alma Flor Ada "Hello, Lulu" (boardbook, others in the series) by Caroline Uff "The Hello, Goodbye Window" by Norton Juster "An African Princess" by Lyra Edmonds "Maxwell's Mountain" by Shari Becker "Two Mrs. Gibsons" by Toyomi Igus "The way we do it in Japan" by Geneva Cobb Iijima "A Child's Calendar" by John Updike "Buzz" by Janet Wong "Our Loving Grandparents" by Kathy...
For health advice, I strongly recommend the book "Take Your Pediatrician With You." The author discusses issues both mundane and life-threatening related to life anywhere (broken arm, scratch, fever) and international travel. It is a GREAT resource.