or Connect

Posts by robin3

My ds is online right now talking and playing Minecraft with two friends. They love it!
We light a candle and pick a blessing from the book "A Grateful Heart: Daily Blessings for the Evening Meal from Buddha to the Beatles" by M. J. Ryan.  We've used this since our DS, now 11, was a baby and he went from just watching to now either lighting the candle or reading or both. We also use it at the holidays.
We discoverd our ds saw numbers as colors two years ago when he was nine. He also experiences feelings as tastes and colors. It explained sooooo much!!! He is very intense and sensitive and now I know why!  It explained why a kid who could hear a song once and have it memorized or read something once and have it memorized, couldn't do mulitiplication. It especially came out when they had timed mulitiplicationt tests in school. If he had time he could figure it out but...
Check out Heifer International. Our 4th/5th grade class at our Unitarian Universalist Church raised $400 hosting a spaghetti dinner and were so excited to "buy" a water buffalo, a goat, a hive of bees and a flock of chickens!!  Heifer donates animals and trees to people all over the world to help them become self sustaining, with the understanding that they, in turn, will give away extra animals that they have been able to raise.  Heifer has a "Read to Feed" program...
Wow, finally got through all of the posts! One of my favorite topics!   As a facilitator for the Our Whole Lives (OWL) program I would like to point out that though it was written by the Unitarian Universalist Association (UUA) and the United Church of Christ (UCC) it is not a faith based program. It is a secular comprehensive whole life sexuality program that has supplemental faith based curriculums that each denomination uses when taught at their churches. OWL is...
My ds has been cooking independently since he was about 8. My only stipulation is that he cleans up whatever he makes!!! Sometimes the creations are very interesting......... he made stir fried cucumbers once.......... actually, they were quite good!
Merrells. Love, love, love my Merrells! I have a pair of sandals that I walked all day at Legoland without any foot pain!!! And I love their walking shoes!!! Some of their styles have 1/2 sizes and some do not.
We knew from a very early age that ds, now 9, was gifted. He was tested in 1st grade. His teacher recommended it as he is very intense and she suspected that this was one of the reasons. His school at the time had differentiated, multi age classrooms so the learning environment was good. It was just his intense emotions about everything that suggested to her that he was gifted. He has ALL the Dabrowski's Overexcitabilities~! Hi new school also has diffentiated, multiage...
I've told my ds he can get his ear pierced when he is 13. If he still wants it.
Jim Trelease's "Read Aloud Handbook" is a great resource for read a loud for all ages. I think he has a website, too.