or Connect

Posts by AlexisT

IF you are at a teaching hospital, expect blowback over an insistence that only attending physicians attend you. That's part of being in a teaching hospital. You can ask, nad you can say you don't want extra observers, but they do assume residents will be helping. My spinal with #2 was done by a resident and they weren't going to hold it up to find an attending if I insisted. 
My understanding is that oral Vitamin K does not prevent late onset VKDB as well as the IM injection. Unless you are in NYS, however (where Vitamin K is mandated by law) you may ask to have it administered. 
She's been blogging for nearly 8 years and she's always done so under her real name. She wrote a book before that. If she had never been board certified or worked as an OB, don't you think someone would have exposed her already? People have been digging for dirt on her for years and they haven't found anything convincing yet.  This is up there with "She's a paid shill for ACOG."   Her husband is a lawyer, and I believe quite a successful one. She has 4 kids. She...
I had my first in the UK (in a hospital as I was high risk).   The entire setup is VERY different in the UK. There is some friction between OBs and midwives, but there are clearly laid out guidelines for risking upward to consultant (OB) care, guidelines, etc. However there is variation within the UK as well--different areas have different rates. Home birth is actually discouraged (subtly or overtly) in some areas as there is a midwife shortage. Home birth rates have...
I did not have my arms tied.    Prophylactic antibiotics is the standard of care. It reduces the rate of postoperative infection. Keep in mind that until a few years ago this was done for all surgery BUT c-section... recent research has shown it is important for CS too.    Nursery: This is dependent on hospital setup and protocol. Some do some don't. My first didn't, my 2nd did, but I probably could have fought it - I did not because I knew my closure would be lengthy....
There are questions about changes in the reporting of maternal mortality.    You keep talking about what you would choose. That's fine. But you don't know what other people would choose, and they have the right to make an informed decision. "Things happen in the hospital too" is meaningless. The statistics acknowledge that there is no perfect solution. What they say is that these things happen less often, and it includes the complications from interventions that are...
I know people who had bad things happen in the hospital. It does happen. I was treated terribly during my first birth. (Not in the US, and the midwives, not the OBs, were the culprits.) NPO is certainly standard of care in many hospitals, though strapping down is not (it is on the decline for surgery as well). However, "bad things happen in the hospital and that is why women choose home birth" is not an answer to whether or not women should be provided with all the...
Historically, being unwilling to listen to contrary points of view has not been good for a movement. If mods want to move this out of the home birth section, then fine.    If you (general you) don't care about stats, that's up to you. The problem is that MANA has chosen to operate within the scientific paradigm and make testable claims which it is now claiming to back with data.   Approximately 99% of American women birth in the hospital. Outside of MDC and...
 I don't know what this has to do with anything. We're talking about the outcomes of planned home birth, not freak occurrences. No one plans for every one in a million contingency. 
 Not exactly. The problem here is that you are thinking in market terms: supply and demand. Despite political rhetoric, the US system doesn't quite work that way. Supply is regulated through various means. The supply of CNM places is controlled because of the ability to train them. In order to teach an MSN level CNM student, you need to have a doctorate; to teach BSN students, you need an MSN, and so on. There is a shortage of BSN places, which you need to get to do the...