or Connect

Posts by CatsCradle

DH and I are cited on the web a lot because of our work.  I know there are pictures of DD on-line because a local paper always posts team pictures or events from her school and DD's school also has a public website (we signed a waiver for this purpose).  Stuff like this doesn't concern me because information like that would be available with or without the web,  What would concern me, however, is finding social media / personal type posting on the web for all to see.  I...
Just turned 50 in the fall of last year and didn't have a period for five months...until this week.  Blah!  Thought I was finally on the runway to freedom from this, but alas, no.  
Over 40?  I just turned 50 last week!  I have a seven-year-old DD.  Feel great and looking forward to the next 10 years.  :)
In real life, I never feel like I need to defend how my family operates, but I do see the common argument around the internet that people (specifically mothers) work because they value status or materials possessions over motherhood and parenting.  Usually it just makes me laugh, but every now and then I wonder if I'm being secretly judged for things that people wouldn't say out loud or to my face.   That said, there are a number of reasons why I work.  First and...
Not to be a negative Nancy, but my mom's generation were slaves to ironing (ironed everything from socks to sheets), and as a result I spent a good deal of my teen years ironing clothes on Saturdays as part of my chores.  Result:  I don't iron anything unless absolutely necessary.  My mother is very critical of this, but at the same time I feel that my time as a parent is spent better on other things besides this this.  My sister, on the other hand, has adopted my mother's...
8 blocks.  We walk it.
Sorry to barge in on this thread - haven't posted on MDC in while but this one caught my eye because I've seen the thread title quoted by various people on the internet and it often irritates me that these little underhanded comments are the best we can do in supporting our positions. I agree with a prior poster(s) that it is silly and non-productive to argue about who has it harder or easier.  It is all so subjective.  One is not easier or harder than the other, they are...
I would say that we cook/eat from scratch every day.  It's pretty easy for us because we're vegetarians and we tend to eat mostly stir fry type dishes and rice.  We never got into the habit of utilizing frozen meals or pre-packaged stuff.  Probably the most prep work we do is to cut up vegetables and refrigerate them so that we can make a quick stir fry or steam something.  I do keep things like canned kidney beans if I want to throw something into the mix quickly...
Movies we both love:   National Velvet (with Elizabeth Taylor) Lassie (with Elizabeth Taylor..lol) Sound of Music Mary Poppins The Bear The Princess Bride Edward Scissorhands Ratatouille   These are just a few - and are in regular rotation at home.  DD is almost seven and although these films are not necessarily "girl" films - they appeal to her because of their strong characters, whether boy, girl, bear or rat. 
  I joined TWWS recently but it was more of a way to explore new options than anything.  I've been on MDC for over 7 years!  TWWS people that are still here can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think it was reaction to MDC as much as the need for a place where there was a greater ability to speak one's mind without being banned or shamed, etc.  I like it there.  I haven't posted a lot there, but I think there is a fun aspect that is a good balance to the seriousness...