or Connect

Posts by CatsCradle

It's true, meemee.  There is inconceivable wealth in NYC.  We buy the Sunday paper every week and the real estate section is reflective of this wealth.  There are apartments in Manhattan that sell for $17 million.  The disparity between wealth and poverty is stark.  I don't mean to sound cynical and depressing, but the lowest income people have always been positioned near the waterfronts.  It's the same in the Far Rockaways and in Coney Island.  Ultimately these are the...
Agreed (bolded part).  I think it is easy to not understand situations.  Angie was asking an honest question from her perspective.  The beauty, being, we've been able to discuss the realities.  I think this is good for everyone.  
Angie, I'm just seeing your post for the first time today and I appreciate your updates.  I understand the inability to comprehend the logistics of rural and semi-rural vs. urban living and preparedness.  I grew up in rural West Virginia but have lived in NYC for over twenty years.  Living here, where I live now, is so opposite to how I grew up, for lack of a better phrase.  There are probably 25 million people in the NY/NJ metro area.  A great majority of these people...
Sorry guys!  Have not been on Mothering in the last few days due to other obligations, but thanks for your thoughts!  Except for some downed trees in our particular neighborhood, we fared rather well because we sit on a high ridge/hill.  Mass transit is limited so there has been no school or work for us.  It's weird, though, have been catching news broadcasts of certain parts of the city and New Jersey, and the devastation is mind-blowing.  We haven't seen any of it live...
South Brooklyn, here.  We're getting pelted but my building sits high on a  hill so no flooding possible.  Just worried about power outings more than anything.  Got candles but want to stay ! connected.  
I think this issue is multi-faceted (the prior posts being a great example of why).  When I was growing up, very few people around me engaged in regular reading of books (whether fiction or bios, etc.).  I think the only books we had at home were those encyclopedias that were so popular at the time.  None of my family members were avid readers, and my parents and siblings still do not read books.  My dad and mom probably read more now then when I was growing up because...
To be honest, OP, I don't really think about it!  In fact, I probably notice more when someone is wearing make-up, rather than not.    I wear minimal make-up (foundation mostly) because my skin tone is uneven and it just makes me feel better about myself when I wear it.  People may not even think that I'm wearing it because it is so minimal.  My next-door-neighbor is a beautiful woman and she doesn't wear make-up, except on rare nights out.  She has beautiful skin...
One of the things that I appreciate about the New Yorker is that it has been more than critical about Obama's administrative polices in the past and continues to do so.  I think the hallmark of good journalism is that one can be critical as well as positive.  We seem to think if someone praises someone that they are incapable of being critical of same.  The article today in the New Yorker which "endorsed" Obama laid out in pretty clear terms why it was supportive as well...
I'll be watching it.  Plus, picked up the new New Yorker today and there is a great article in there about so-called election fraud and the facts behind that.  It was actually a  good piece of journalism (I expect nothing less from the NYer).  It is interesting to discover how the outcries of election fraud are based in deep-seeded ideas of racism.  The dead people who were "voting" in Georgia and the Carolinas?  Actually people with the same names as the dead people....
For me, it is not so much whether I'm a morning person or a night owl, but if I can accomplish what I need to do on minimal sleep.  I know that I need to go to bed by midnight in order to get up at 5:30 am and function throughout the day.  I know that I can only do this for stretches at a time and then I need to figure out a way to rest and re-group.  One factor doesn't change during the weekday week:  I have to get up at 5:30.  When I go to bed depends on whether I've...