or Connect

Posts by mamacate

Just a quick note to say that I'm so impressed with how you're handling this. My DS bit a lot for about a year--from about 10 months to about 20 months. It was truly terrible. And we had very supportive child care providers (pt daycare) who did a great job, plus he wasn't the only biter in the classroom. I think your point about her not projecting the image of "bully" on her is really important. I'd suggest you sit down with the teacher outside the classroom and...
Yeah, mama, I'm sorry, but you probably were. It was probably an "empty" sac that finally stopped growing (aka "blighted ovum"). Sometimes the sac grows but a baby never develops. Whether or not it is "reabsorbed" or not is a matter of chance and how far along it grows. You wouldn't have bled because nothing detached. Some docs can be really weird about not telling mamas about losses...it's possible that they saw it on the u/s and never mentioned it. As the uterus...
Is there a low, persistent fever. My DS had a similar course of illness, and he had this persistent low fever that would only go up at night. Turned out he had mild pneumonia and a sinus infection (dx via x-ray). Coughs can definitely linger, but if your mama instincts say there's something more, pursue it. To get the pneumonia dx, we ended up bringing him in on a saturday morning after calling the office 4 times during the week and being told it was just a...
I don't have much advice, but I just want to say that I have similar struggles at my house. The spirited child book should help. You might also want to look into "The Happiest Toddler On The Block." I posted about it in the toddler forum, and I got kinda flamed about it (just by one person), but the idea is to reflect their feelings back to them in very simple language, using an emotive tone of voice "you want it...you really want it now! You want it you want it you...
Hey Nate! LOL about the Mt. thing. That's anathema here (the domain name notwithstanding). I do institutional research, which means I survey students, analyze retention and enrollment numbers, etc. Scintillating, LOL. Right now I'm working on a 3-year grant to study MHC's decision to become SAT-optional. I'm right in the middle of the study--I have a lot of data to analyze! It's a great place, though I've been here 6 years and I'm ready for the next thing. I...
Thanks Heket. That's exactly it. I work 18 hours a week over 3 6-hour days, plus a 40-minute commute each way that the kids take with me (and when the bridge construction is done ANY DAY NOW, it will only be 25 minutes! woo hooooo!). It's definitely easier than working FT, but it puts you in this weird no-persons-land. It should be the perfect solution, right? But in fact, I am still responsible for most of the household responsibilities since I have more time and...
BTW, thanks Cheryle for saying I'm missed on the 54 board. I've had to scale back where I post, grin. I did lurk there recently for the first time in a long time, and read some good stuff. Nice to see you over here. Gret, I saw your location--I'm in Western Mass. too! I live in Northampton and work at Mount Holyoke--where are you? Cate
Hi Stephanie. I'm really sorry you're dealing with this. This is a little off the wall, but have you looked into getting special services and possibly SSI if he is classified as disabled (including psych disabilities) for the stepson? You might be able to get some support there, financial or othewise. Anyway, I haven't worked 3rd shift while parenting, but I did it for a while while I was between jobs about 10 years ago as a temp/relief staff. I am also thinking...
Hey folks, thanks for responding! I'd love to hear from others in the same boat--I appreciate knowing I'm not alone in this. I was beginning to wonder if it was my sparkling personality that was making me such an outcast, LOL! I'd love to hear from others! Hugs, Cate
I WOH part-time (3 6-hour days), and my kids (2 yo twins) are in a truly wonderful group daycare. We cosleep, they're still nursing nearly hourly when we're together, I'm a confirmed slingaholic, we cloth diaper, and I'm generally pretty darn crunchy when it comes to parenting. But I don't feel like I fit in anywhere. The EBF is the main thing. With other parents who WOH, most of them weaned by a year, 18 months at the latest, and they don't do any of the other things...