or Connect

Posts by nomadmom

Well, I made them.  You all were right, the only difference was the texture.  With the regular flour, they were tender, but the bread flour made them heartier -- more like a sandwich roll than a dinner roll.  They're equally good, just different.  Ollyoxenfree, yes, the recipe uses only a small amount of sugar, and no butter (uses oil) or eggs.
I have a recipe for dinner rolls that calls for all-purpose white flour and regular whole wheat flour.  I've made them before, and they came out great.  I'd like to make them again, but the only flours I have in are *bread* flours.  I know it seems backwards, but would it be o.k. to sub the bread flour for the regular?
Here's another idea for using leftover flour tortillas.  The amounts given are for 6 tortillas (approx. 8"), but you can adjust for the number/size you have.   2 TBS butter, melted 1/2 tsp. cumin 1/2 tsp. garlic powder 1/2 tsp. onion powder  optional -- dash cayenne pepper   Combine the seasonings.  Brush butter over one side of each tortilla, and sprinkle each with seasoning mixture.  Stack the tortillas and cut into thin strips (maybe 1/2" or so wide)....
I've quoted my own post because I only gave an ingredients list and not instructions.  This recipe is *so easy*!  You don't need a food processor because the dough comes together in seconds, doesn't stick to hands and is easy to handle and roll out.     Simply combine the dry ingredients, add the oil and toss with a fork until it forms pea-sized balls.  Gradually mix in the water, then knead into a ball for about 2 minutes.  Let the dough rest 30 min., then roll into thin...
Oh, it hadn't occurred to me that you meant corn tortillas because I don't like them and only ever make flour ones.  Sorry for the confusion!
I don't know if it's the recipe, or the fact that I roll the dough on a silicone mat, but I've been making tortillas without a press for years and never ever have problems with the dough sticking or cracking.  These are the ingredients in the recipe I use (makes approx. 8 tortillas).  Is yours similar?   2 cups flour 1 tsp. salt 1/4 tsp. baking powder 1/4 cup oil 1/2 cup warm water
Happy Birthday, Asia!  She really is a beauty.
Momo123, thank you for the links!  Dd and I have just printed several recipes off the maanchi site, and will be trying them this weekend.  And thanks, Cristeen, for letting me butt into your thread.
sub'ing
UPDATE:   On the advice of our trainer, we changed to the kibble she uses for her competition dogs, and what a difference it has made!  Pup's been on it several weeks, and no more mushy poo and nasty gas.  He hadn't lost any weight, but his growth had seemed stalled.  Since starting the new food, he had a big growth spurt despite actually eating less.  An added bonus is that the new food costs about 1/3 of what we'd been paying, and is delivered to our door.  I hope...