or Connect

Posts by nomadmom

Yay, the pictures worked!  Welcome new puppies and people.   We joined a dog training club a few weeks ago, and we love it!  Dh and I go to watch, but dd is the handler.  For the first 10 min., all the puppies are off lead to socialize with each other and the humans.  The first time we went, our pup ran around like mad, leaping over other dogs and generally going crazy with excitement.  He did settle down and do pretty well with the exercises.  We only had 2 classes...
Here he is at last!  I hope this works as I've never posted pictures before.  I'm useless with technology and had to get 13 y.o. dd to help me.  It took us a while, but we did finally name him after we'd had him for about 3 weeks.  I don't want to post his name for privacy reasons.  I might change my mind, but I'll just keep calling him puppy here for now.  He's 8 weeks old in the first picture, and 20 weeks in the second (taken 2 weeks ago).  
Whenever I have extra cream, I whip it with a little agave syrup and vanilla, then freeze dollops of it on a tray.  Then, I store the dollops in a container in the freezer and use them in hot chocolate or coffee.
This soup has it all -- healthy, cheap, easy and delicious!   1/2 cup dry split peas 1/2 cup dry brown lentils 1/2 cup uncooked long-grain brown rice 1/4 cup pearl barley 1/4 cup dried minced onion (or 2 tsp. onion powder) 2 tsp. herbs (I always use oregano and basil, and sometimes add marjoram and/or thyme) 1/3 cup bouillon granules 3 qts. water (or use your preferred stock and eliminate bouillon) 1 can (28 oz.) diced tomatoes, undrained 1/2 cup...
Love all the pictures!  I will try to post some soon.  Our pup is now 17 weeks old, and is doing great aside from a tummy upset from a possible food sensitivity.  He went to a 4-week basic training class from age 9-13 weeks, and was good with all the other puppies and humans.  Next week, he's going to start more serious training with 13 y.o. dd as his handler.  We had a trainer come out last week to assess a couple issues, and she immediately suggested something we'd...
I don't think it's related to treats as we mostly use his kibble for rewards/treats and he only has "special" ones occasionally.  He never ever has table scraps, and there have been no household changes.  We do measure his food every time.  I didn't realize that parasites could cause intermittent symptoms.  A question for those who suggest a vet visit -- would that still be your plan even if the loose stools stop every time the kibble is removed from his diet, and he is...
If it was giardia, wouldn't the diarrhea be present all the time?  He had a week to 10 days of normal poo between the 1st and 2nd bouts of diarrhea.  We didn't feed him last night, and this a.m. he had one mushy poo.  He's had 2 small feedings today of plain rice with a little fish mixed in, and hasn't pooed any more.  I'm going to keep him on the rice and fish again tomorrow and then re-introduce the kibble.  If he's diarrhea-free today and tomorrow, then gets it again...
We feed him 3 times per day, and use the amount recommended on the food bag based on his predicted adult size.  There is a little guessing involved, but I would think we've got it about right as he has tons of energy and is growing well (but not overweight at all -- he has lost the roly-poly puppy look and is becoming more adult shaped).  I am not against the possibility of a complete change in feeding method, and it does seem silly to feed a dog some of the ingredients...
My puppy is 17 weeks old.  We got him at 8 weeks, and fed him the kibble he'd previously been on while we researched better options.  On the original food, his poo was frequent (probably 6 per day), soft and pale.  We switched (introduced gradually) to a hypo-allergenic, all-natural kibble that had excellent reviews.  Within a couple days, his poos became far less frequent, and were dark and well-formed.   After 2-3 weeks, he started having soft poos again, and then...
Iron deficiency can cause hair loss.