or Connect

Posts by nomadmom

Hi BlueStateMama, and welcome to the puppy tribe. What I did for the first couple nights is put our puppy in a box at the side of my & dh's bed so that we could reach in and calm him without having to get up. Then, we moved the box away from the bed for a few nights, and he was fine with that, so we got a pen. He slept in the pen in our room for about a week, and then we moved it to the kitchen where he has slept ever since. I know what you mean about not wanting to...
Quote: Originally Posted by AAK They do this within minutes of bringing them in. I'm sorry, I know it's a pain, and I don't have any advice. I am subbing because my pup has been like this from the beginning -- peeing in the house all the time even right after coming in. We're on day 2 of tethering, and it's going perfectly, but I'd like to see the responses to your situation in case we have any set backs. I think I'm sub'ed to about 4...
Our vet also said no walks until fully vaccinated, but our pup was complete at 11.5 weeks (maybe the vaxes are different here). However, from the first week we had him, we took him for in-arms walks and car trips so he could get used to sights/sounds. The mental stimulation also chills him out. You could try that. Our puppy and situation is similar to yours -- peeing constantly even if he's just come in from a potty break. He's gated in the kitchen (it's quite big,...
Quote: Originally Posted by Oubliette8 I've heard of dogs doing this too, one internet friends dogs rings the bells so he can go outside and chase lizards I'm sorry, but this visual is so funny to me! Smart dogs. I had never heard of these bells, and thought, "What a cool idea!" I can see how they could backfire and become a total nuisance. Heavenly, I share your frustration. Our puppy is 12 weeks today and just pees and pees and pees...
Well, crap. I've never eaten kimchi, so I wouldn't know if it tasted right or not, lol. Why would a different type of cabbage take longer to ferment? I have looked in a major supermarket as well as my local co-op and neither had napa. I bought a head of sweetheart, and it's already salted and soaking. Maybe I'll get lucky and it will taste good even if it's not completely authentic. Next time, I'll make the trip to an Asian market, but I'm making this recipe on a...
I agree with what others have said, and want to share what has worked well for us over the years. When I found something (it might be a book, a class, a field trip, etc.) that I thought my children might enjoy, I would offer it to them. Sometimes they'd be reluctant, and I'd say, "Just try it for 5 minutes. If you don't want to continue, we will stop." Because I always was honest with them, they trusted me. Nearly every time, I was right in predicting what they...
Quote: Originally Posted by redvlagrl ETA: Regular cabbage won't work for kim chee. When you say it won't work, do you mean the recipe will fail, or just that it won't taste like traditional kimchi? The store I went in yesterday didn't have anything that looked like napa (the closest in appearance was the sweetheart, aka "pointed" cabbage), but I'll check another store today. Thanks for your help.
I'm about to make my first batch of kimchi, and the recipe I'm using calls for napa cabbage. First of all, does it matter which kind you use? Second, I'm in the UK and can't find anything labeled napa. Aside from the round, pale green kind, I've seen savoy and sweetheart. Which should I use?
Quote: Originally Posted by Mirzam I wonder if Bach's rescue remedy would help? You would just need a squirt in his water. You can buy an animal flower essence combination formula especially for stress, but you would have to order it from the US. Why does the vet think it is stress related? Is the animal flower essence a different line of products from Bach? Bach remedies are easily available here. The vet didn't say the pee issues were...
Has anyone heard of/used the pheromone dispensing products (collar, diffuser, spray) for dogs? Our vet has suggested that this might be helpful for our puppy, but the leaflet she gave us doesn't really explain enough for us to make an informed decision. She asked if maybe his issue with peeing in the house so frequently could be stress related since he doesn't have a uti and gets taken outside plenty. If this is a safe product that might make things easier, I...