or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:

Posts by nomadmom

Quote: Originally Posted by Doodlebugsmom Your guy is an American Stafforshire if I remember correctly? No, he's a Staffordshire Bull Terrier. They're related to AmStaffs, but are much smaller and have other subtle differences.
Thanks, Mirzam. :-) Our guy (we still haven't named him -- how awful is that?) is really smart and funny. He's going to start puppy classes next week because his breed can be dog-aggressive if not socialized at a young age. We've taken him on walks (in arms) around our village, so he's met lots of people and seen a few other dogs. At the vet yesterday, a small terrier was barking at him like crazy and struggling to get at him, but puppy just sat quietly in my arms,...
Quote: Originally Posted by vtechmom Also an important note about male dogs in particular is that they won't necessarily empty their entire bladder in one go. I didn't know that, but it would certainly explain things! We went to the vet yesterday, and he does not have a uti, so we'll just have to deal with it until he learns.
Quote: Originally Posted by Mirzam Oscar is an English Mastiff, so we can't take him for long walks until he is a year old at least. Why? I'm just curious. Glad he's making progress. :-)
My puppy is a bit younger (10 wks 2 days), but I'm working on this too. We live on a pretty busy road, so I've been letting him sit on the window ledge inside and watch the cars and people go by (that way, the sounds are muffled, but he still can hear and see). Also, we carry him for walks around the village so he can hear the sounds and get used to people coming up to pet him. Since your pup is older and walking on a leash, this might not be relevant, but might be...
I've got a 10 wk old pup, too, and have been following your other puppy threads because I need advice/tips as well. Our puppy went 7-8 hours at night w/o peeing the first couple of nights we had him (got him at 8 weeks), but then I started noticing that his blanket was wet in the a.m. That is still happening, but it's usually not a giant wet spot like you'd expect after holding it that long. I think he gets excited when he hears us, and leaks a little. Could that be...
Quote: Originally Posted by stardogs Does he tank up on water when he comes inside after being out? If he's had a good run around, yes. But then we're aware that he's full of water and try to keep an eye and get him back out within 10-15 minutes. Sometimes we do get distracted, though, and that's when he goes. I suppose it's like doing EC with a baby -- it's up to the parent to catch the signals until they actually have control...
Quote: Originally Posted by Ola_ When you say he gets taken outside very frequently, how often is that? Immediately upon waking, within a few minutes of drinking. Because we know he pees a lot, we take him out probably every 20 minutes unless he's in his pen (before today, he only went in his pen when he needed a nap). It seems like whenever someone's not directly engaged with him, he pees. He will go outside and pee, then come back in and go...
I did see the thread on house training, but will go back and read it more thoroughly as I thought it was more about a specific issue (not peeing in the rain) rather than general tips. Funnily enough, our puppy also was not happy about going in the rain at first, but he needed to get over that in a hurry since we live in England -- no escape from rain here! He still doesn't like it, but does go. We have had to back track because we gave him way too much freedom at...
I guess I should have mentioned that I'm vegetarian. Thanks for all the ideas. I make pizza dough regularly, and never would have thought to add cornmeal so that's a good idea. I've never tried fried green tomatoes or polenta (is it as time-consuming as it seems?), but always read how good they are so maybe I should have a go. I had thought of corn tortillas, but then looked up a recipe and saw that I'd need masa harina. The mush sounds good -- will try that. ...
New Posts  All Forums: