or Connect

Posts by IncompetentHousewife

I would vote for a meat goat breed. We raise Boers and don't milk them. We let the kids nurse and self-wean, then the doe dries up.  
EllasMommy10, I literally had to go back and see who wrote your message to see if it was something I myself posted a few years ago. I had the exact same fear.   We have two children by birth and two by adoption. You'll be surprised what your heart can do.   I really like what marsupial-mom said, too.  
I need help with potty training, please. We have four kids. The youngest are boys ages 3-1/2 and 5, both on the autism spectrum, cognitively challenged and speech delayed, with some serious behavioral issues due to in utero drug and alcohol exposure and trauma before they joined our family. My sons are fully dependent on diapers. I need tips for beginning to potty train them at home. Every single day is difficult to just live through because of their behaviors. I just...
I'm so glad you're closer to getting some answers. I mentioned my 3-year-old before, but I also have a 4-year-old and he is classically autistic. The behaviors you describe sure do sound like autistic traits. I would encourage you to keep learning about autism while you wait to find out. Our 4-year-old is very rigid in what he wants. When he wants something, he wants it now. It does sound like what you describe. It couldn't hurt to learn more about it, even if you find...
We found that taking only children younger than ours worked for us.
How are things going now? Is the boy still in your care?   I have a son with CP in Michigan and he came to us through foster care if I can help you at all.
I don't have space for a whole sensory room in our smallish house with six people in it, but I do have some sensory items in the house. My two youngest children have Sensory Processing Disorder as part of Autism Spectrum Disorders and other issues.   The best purchase I made was the Ekorre swing from Ikea. It's hanging in our living room. My sister gave all my kids big Bumpidoodle pillows (sort of like a cross between a Pillow Pet and a bean bag). They are great for...
I have two sons on Risperdal. One is 3 years old and the other is almost 5. They each get 0.5mg three times a day.   My husband and I aren't really sure if the Risperdal is working because we don't know if things would be worse without it. And we're not taking them off to check! They've been on it for almost a year on increasing doses. They've also gained in communication skills and learning, which is also contributing to better behavior. And they're on other meds,...
I'm so sorry, PeacefulSeams. This is so hard. I'm glad you're pursuing psychiatric help because this sounds serious. Can you get to a major university or other excellent psych department? We've had our son evaluated by local doctors and see a huge difference between them in the accuracy and value of information we've received from the really good experts at larger clinics and a teaching hospital in our state.   Our 3-year-old is not able to verbalize things like...
I, too, worry myself almost sick when an IEP is coming. I'm a pretty strong person. I can go into other meetings and get down to business or negotiate quite effectively, but this is personal. We're talking about our children's futures! I get so focused on one part that there is always something I regret not focusing on. It's like I lose the ability to think!   My husband comes when he can, which is most of the time. This time I asked him to help with a few main...