or Connect

Posts by IncompetentHousewife

Yes! Me, too. Some days I feel like I did my boys a disservice by taking in both of my them instead of just one (no bio relation to each other). Maybe each would be happier if they were the only child with such serious issues in the family. After their adoptions were well underway, a worker we know personally said she was glad things were going OK because she had recommended one of our boys be the only child in a family (he's one of four here!). Ouch. She didn't mean it to...
We came close to a similar situation when our already TPR'd son had been with us some months and suddenly an aunt and grandmother decided to express interest in adopting him. I thought it might happen, so while I fought, I thought that if I had to lose him, at least I should provide info about him to the people who would end up raising him if it wasn't me. I detailed all of his special issues, from his eating to his behaviors, in a letter to the social worker. She ended up...
Others have given many ideas and it sounds like you are pursing many avenues to decide what will help him the most. So I won't offer specific ideas to try. I just want to share two things. 1. It sounds like you are in the "living hell" stage of mothering a fost-adopt child who came to you seriously affected. My almost-5-year-old came to us when he was almost 3. The first year was a living hell. The way you describe things in your house right now sound a lot like I felt...
Coincidentally, my sister and her husband are the same ages as you. They finalized the adoption of three beautiful siblings last year, who were placed with them through foster care two years prior. I don't think private-agency domestic or international adoption would have fit in their budget.
Dove
Bovine
Yay! This is exciting! May I ask what worked for you? I have a 4-year-old with autism, too. He's cognitively challenged, too, and I had been thinking he might never learn to read. He counts to 10 now and knows some colors, so I think he's more capable than I realized! I'd love to hear what has worked for you. Congrats!
I taught myself at that age. I looked for the name of the kit and couldn't find it (go figure, it's been 25 years!), but it was just a basic kit with a small instruction booklet that showed how to hold the pen and Mae the basic strokes, then how to form each letter of a certain style with 1-2-3 steps. Once my parents and big sister who got me started saw that I liked it, we found another book to introduce different styles. It looks like the basic $20 kits online are quite...
While we have used formal curricula over the years, I think my young kids learn best by simply observing nature. We own many nature field guides, and I also purchased field guide apps for use on my phone that are even more portable (Audubon Birds, Mammals, Butterflies). Inevitably they'll ask what's happening and why, which gives us a chance to learn. I keep a pretty large home library of books picked up at yard sales and used book sales. I shelve science books together....
Doh! Somehow I didn't look at the date. I'm so glad you have fallen in love and he's progressing! It sounds like you thought this through, decided to take the leap, and are now in the right place. Congratulations! It sounds like you are on top of things working with the doctor and therapists so that if there ever does need to be a diagnosis, you're right in there ready to get his needs met. Enjoy him!