or Connect

Posts by somasoul

Dh has usually gone with me to most prenatal appointments, though I'm fine with him not making it to all of them.
I'm putting together a pregnancy health and nutrition class and looking for short youtube videos to include. Does anyone have recommendations?
Windy City Momma,   What techniques are you currently trying? What are you doing to curb this behavior?
      You're exactly right. If you practice unconditional parenting but part of that is disliking your own child or resorting to yelling at them constantly, it's time for a change (I'm not bashing unconditional parenting, maybe it works for your family). My advice is always to recognize when you are being a bad parent, and if you feel like you are failing somewhere, then something needs to give. I'm a huge supporter of timeout simply because of the "time" aspect. It...
@Bellingham,   Have you ever seen the floor of men's restroom? I doubt a bucket would help this problem very much. 
Dad here.   I really don't like the idea of hitting your child back at all, especially a two year old. Lots of kids go through a hitting stage at 2 or 3 and I don't think there's a ton to be concerned about here. I don't think your child is old enough to understand the reason you would pinch/hit her back is because it hurts you. It's simply not something that I think a two year old would understand.   With that said, nor do I think explaining yourself would...
I read whatever I can get my hands on, it's all good! I typically prefer the NIV or Today's English Version if I want that old skool 70s vibe.         HA! When I first moved out of state I visited a Baptist church with a Bible under my arm. The pastor was very welcoming but after a couple minutes asked "What translation are you using?" I replied "NIV." Very cooly he said "Well, we only use the KJV here." At that moment I thought to myself "Man, I'm in the wrong joint."...
Hey Windy City Mom,   I'm a dad. I have four kids and I proudly brag that their behavior is usually fantastic. All of our kids responded differently to different discipline styles. And, bear in mind, when I say "discipline" I mean the dictionary definition, as in "Training to act in accordance with rules." Many people confuse discipline with "punishment", which is a retributive act for rebellious behavior.   For instance, my son was often disciplined with a time-out,...
Dad here,   When my wife and I got married she didn't want to do the Halloween thing at all. I convinced her that Halloween was a day to get free candy and if you pass that up then you're missing out. I never viewed Halloween as being religious at all, purely secular (though it has its roots in quite a lot). And, strictly speaking, Halloween lets you get out and meet your neighbors, break the ice with them because you have cute kids dressed up. Then you see 'em two...
I'm hardly a hokie parent but I'd chalk this one up to weird kid behavior. I echo the comments that it MIGHT indicate some sort of abuse...maybe. If that is unlikely I think it is just boys being weird. As a man, I've known lots of guys who pee in weird places and get a great kick out of it. I had a buddy in highschool who would walk down the sidewalk and urinate while walking. We're just a weird, uncivilized group of people.   I don't think a punishment is required at...