or Connect

Posts by salt_phoenix

Quote: Originally Posted by southhavenjen are you sure you didn't get a heavy frost at night that maybe killed your plants? Nothing is impossible, that is for sure. We were out of town for that ONE NIGHT and the local weather said it never got down to 40. HOWEVER... We have actually talked about the mystery "ghost frost" that comes across the back field and back field only. I had tomatoes in pots on the back patio, and I thought for sure...
My experience with digging up volunteer trees is limited to knowing it is easy to break off the root when you dig it up. Even little trees have DEEP roots. Just be careful about that and you should be good to go. I only move them to another spot in the yard, I have never been able to save a tree in a pot after digging it up. I do have a 4 inch almond tree that grew out of the compost. I have that in a pot, but it was nothing but a tiny sprout coming out of an almond...
Put a little space between the placenta and whatever you plant with it. Don't place it right on top of the placenta. It can actually burn your plant. Planting a placenta NEXT TO whatever you want to nourish seems to work a little better than planting right on top of it. Make sure you plant it deep enough that neighborhood animals will not dig it up. It happens.
So I got a few pictures. I actually had already pulled up most of them, but found some I missed. Tomato before. Tomato after. Squash before. Squash after. Peppers Beans Some of my tomatoes were over a foot tall, and my peppers were 8 inches. 90 varieties... all just like this.
Quote: Originally Posted by Rhiannon Feimorgan from contaminated yard or agricultural waste. I'm so so so very sorry that this happened to you. I can only imagine how heart broken I would be in your position. I do think you should get your soil tested for contamination if you can (I'm not from the US and I don't know where you would go to do that, maybe a government agent or through a university) And I think you should contact the company who sold you...
The problem I had was that dh was sold "compost" and he brought a large truckload in bulk home, put it in all the beds, tilled it up and called it good. Looked fine, smelled fine, maybe a little "strong" but certainly very earthy. I don't think you would have the same problem with "home grown" compost. I have never burned my plants with compost I made from scratch. I don't really know what was in this compost that caused all my plants to be burned to the ground.
Yes, absolutely burned to the ground, as if they were torched or seriously, been sprayed with Round Up. They were fine. I did a deep water, left for 24 hrs., came back, everything was burned to the ground. Not burned as in ash, burned as in chemical burn. I am really wondering what was in that compost. Maybe it did have something really really nasty in it. I have never seen anything like it. You would think that if you buy a truckload of compost from somewhere, it's...
The compost LOOKED fantastic. But it just wasn't "done". It looked like someone snuck in and sprayed everything with Round Up. I'm not really sure what I am going to do yet. Thanks for all the offers. I have lots of seeds left. I just can't even use these beds, like pp said, until later... as in fall crops. My summer calendar just emptied out. Does anyone know of an organic farm that needs help anywhere near Utah that will let me bring my two girls? I have a...
1200 sq. ft. of garden beds that dh covered in compost and tilled up, and then I FILLED with 90 varieties of seeds and transplants... GONE. Unfinished compost. Hundreds and hundreds of dollars. Hundreds of hours. ALL my love and care and desire and passion. GONE. I have nothing left. Nothing. My gardening budget? gone My plants? gone My desire to even look at another garden bed as long as I live? gone I have three tomatoes in four...
Quote: Originally Posted by LCBMAX happy mercury retrograde! That explains a lot. : I wouldn't say that Mercury retrograde is ever very "happy" for me. OR anyone around me. and YAY! Quinn! :