or Connect

Posts by alivia

Wow! I can't believe how busy it has gotten since I've been able to get back to this thread. I wanted to mention a few quick things we learned while building, in case they might be helpful to someone else.   • When you build your basement, pay extra attention to drainage around the sides and take extra care to prep the ground under. Most suggest if you are going to live in your basement at all to put both gravel and thick black plastic down before pouring. This is...
Anyone have a model they liked? Even if it costs a little more than $100...
Thank you! I was actually considering that one.  
I'd love to hear what you think of it - what you love or hate about it. I've been shopping Amazon a little, and I've really decided I'd like some personal experience on this purchase. I only have $100, give or take, to spend.   We will be using it for wheat mostly, but also as a coffee grinder non-electric back-up.   I'm interested in how long it would take to grind, say, 6 cups of flour and how hard it is. Could a strong 8-year-old child use it? Is it easy to...
Reading some older threads here...       Yep! I only have 3 months of handwashing experience, but have found all of that to be true. I would also add:   • Wringing is easy if you do it in sections on heavier items. • Detergent is next to impossible to fully rinse out. We use soap nuts & sometimes dish soap for bigger dirt (kitchen towels & rags especially). • You'll never regret putting in a laundry sink in place of a traditional bathroom sink if you are building or...
well, we have 2 of our original 10 left, but it looks like they'll stick for awhile since they're here by choice. They come and go, but have started roosting with the chickens at night. I want more next year. They are lots of fun and pretty low-maintenance.
this might be a stupid suggestion, but could one be a rooster? here's a thread from backyard chickens covering the same topic - buff orpington "hens" not laying eggs - no crowing either FWIW. http://www.backyardchickens.com/foru....php?id=163730
cathy, that website was incredibly helpful - thank you!
So does that mean that a small percentage *will* stay by choice? Or is it an age thing - like they have to be a certain age before they might come to the coop on their own? I am feeling done with trying to control or contain difficult animals in general right now. But the guinea babies are super cheap. If my odds were pretty good that a few would come back to the roost at night on their own at some point, i might give it a go again next year.
If so, I am DONE with guineas. They were the best little grasshopper catchers I'd ever seen in my garden. Beautiful. Didn't once scratch up a plant or peck a tomato on "accident" like the chickens. But I swear, every. single. chance. they got to escape, they would! We started with 10, then we had 5, then we had 3, then the last 3 flew the coop last night. Our chickens have never given us this problem. Did we do something wrong? Is there a trick to keeping them say, in the...