or Connect

Posts by ceilydhmama

Parenting mags are always looking for first-person stories about issues parents are dealing with. This would suit any of the nationals as well as the regionals if the nationals don't bite (which they may not because of current economics...). The way to pitch is as a query - an opening that shows your style and outlines your story (typically something like a vingette of a pivotal moment in your daughter's treatment) then you follow with a graf that tells what selective...
Raising my hand. We lived aboard our 28' boat for 8 years and moved off to return to Canada when dd was 14 mos. Since then we've been rebuilding a 40' Catamaran and will move back aboard over the next two months then set sail for the South Pacific come July. DD is 7 now.
We're in a 700 square foot place and about to move on our boat, which has the same footprint. Our condo had begun to feel tight - but once we emptied it back out again for selling it felt ok again. It's more about possessions than space, I think. If you can keep your belongings in check - you can fit in some tiny places. But once the stuff piles up it is hard to clean a small area - you end up stacking stuff in shelves an cupboards and dust builds up.
Pretty much what everyone else says Every so often I completely freak out over one part of my life that's not working (parenting, marriage, work, housework, friendship etc) then do a big effort on that front. Mostly though I muddle along and feel like I do everything sort of so-so with the occasional glimmer of beauty.
Quote: Originally Posted by MtBikeLover I have tried that one til I am blue in the face but nothing will convince him that it is fun to just play the game. He is really into winning. I have a very competitive dd, too. I tried getting cooperative games for her and she would change the rules so she could win. The *need* to win has eased as she's gotten a little older - I don't push it too much but I give the feedback that it's not fun to play...
I feel torn by the changes too. I really noticed it on a trip last summer - I felt like part of me was missing - so much of the time. I was so used to her being there, needing me, checking in with me and just sometimes shadowing me - that her self-sufficiency was hard to get used to. I guess in those moments, I focus on how well I must be doing my job - and learn to see the new stage as the adventure it is. There is a beauty to watching them from a distance - out in the...
Quote: Originally Posted by Breeder What? No, seriously what? He used the term "psychologically damaging"? Anyone who's ever so much as picked up a book on the subject can tell you that having an absent father is way more damaging than dressing up a dolly, which is what I would've retorted with because I'm blunt like that. Your daughter sounds like a perfectly normal 8 yr old with a special toy and a wonderful mama (and grandfather!). I hope...
Quote: Originally Posted by karemore LOVE them! They're perfect for long car rides, long waits at restaurants, Dr offices etc. I have a bin with all the goodie bags DD has received, and I mix and match little odds and ends to fill the bags when I know they'll come in handy. . I love this idea. I did a column about them recently and got some great tips but this one's awesome for what to do when you get the bags. If you (or anyone else)...
Quote: Originally Posted by MommyofHero no offense to those who like it, but Twitter seems to be perfect for lazy writers. i hate reading "tweets" (or FB status updates, for that matter) that say "shopping at Wholefoods for dinner items blah blah" or "watching TV and cuddling with hubby blah blah"... Huh?? are people really that attached to their phones/ laptops/ or whatever portable device they have that they think the world actually cares what they...
Quote: Originally Posted by dearmama22 how exactly does it work? Like, someone saw something that you tweeted that they thought was interesting/funny so they contacted you? Let me see if I can outline this. When I started on twitter I tried to follow the advice of a friend to have a goal. So initially, my goal was to promote the sustainable living blog I write for www.Granvilleonline.ca. I followed any 'green' people I came across, then went...