or Connect

Posts by ceilydhmama

What a nice thread. I'm in Vancouver too and we're pretty outdoorsy. We go up Cypress quite often for snow shoeing and X-country skiing and we just checked out the new Olympic Park up near Whistler. There are definitely some good options around!: Welcome to Vancouver!
I have an older copy of Recipes for a Small Planet and a couple of the recipes became staples for us (with modifications). It is pretty cheese heavy though. I tend to use my Laurel's kitchen way more than this one for everyday cooking.
I'd love feedback too - especially because I just attempted my first podcast and I'd like an outside perspective on it's length, usefulness and quality...
I have to say that while I know financial donations are really helpful to places - people just seem more comfortable bringing *something* to a party. This is why I like the ones with lists so much. Kids still get to go pick a gift - they just choose one for an organization. The one mum I know who suggested a donation to a charity got that and birthday gifts. While the ones that asked for supplies - got those only. And as far as etiquette - I think those rules are...
We've been to several and they have all gone well. The ones that seem to get the best response are ones where it's clear the kid is on board. Try to keep the language casual too - otherwise it sounds too earnest to be something that a child would want. My fav was for a boy who was gathering donations for a reptiles refuge: "Instead of gifts for my birthday I would like to ask for donations to look after Stubble and all the Bearded Dragon Lizards at the reptile...
My dd was happier with nature movies or things like Dance and Cirque du Soleil when she was smaller. We also kept them pretty short. The other thing we did at that age - if movie night is too much, was family games night. We played simple games like concentration or games that involved counting. We also did family activity night and went swimming, ice skating or for a walk. My dd is an organizer...
Quote: Originally Posted by MadameXCupcake I have looked at the join date when someone posts something that is pretty "mainstream" usually they are new and I know they'll learn. Usually its about baby cereal, formula, vaccines, etc. I do surf peoples prior posts a lot. Me too
I'd start by sorting out what your goal (s) for having a blog are. The blog I write http://www.granvilleonline.ca/gr/blogs/home-economics certainly won't make me rich (although I'm a paid blogger) but it does provide several things my other writing doesn't. For me I chose to do the blog because it's a topic I'm exploring in my own life and writing and thinking about it keeps me on track. Beyond that, I like the immediacy and feedback of a blog but I don't want to do...
Hi Erin, You look like you'll fit right in We sort of go in fits in starts around here. But it's nice to have another voice Diane
We didn't use a stroller until dd was over one and about 25lbs. I rarely drive, so was walking 4km to the grocery store, return - too far for me to carry her and groceries and too far for her to walk when she was that little. We retired the stroller by the time she was three though and almost never used it in crowded places or for shorter walks. Basically, I used it in place of our car or the bike trailer. IMO, it's a tool - like any piece of equipment. In our case...