or Connect

Posts by misfit

By definition it means housing that is supported (wholy or partly) by government grant ("subsidy"). So the rent is cheaper because the government is paying for part of it. Beyond that the specifics can very widely. Most subsidized housing is going to have income guidelines, but not all income-restricted housing is subsidized. You need more information on the specific program.
I think we got lucky... when ds was new, dh and I were not together for a while, and I was living with my parents in a rural area, working in the family business... I'd come in for well-child visits since I had insurance that paid for it (we figured it was a good way to get him weighed) and everyone at the practice would be soooo condescending. They'd weigh him and examine him and he was so big and fat and healthy and they didn't say a word about his hb or bf or cd... but...
OK, OK, I think I can do this. I'm so crunchy... We conceived our child at sunrise on the summer solstice in an octoganal purple yurt (constructed, of course, only from fallen birchtree branches, hemp rope and handwoven herb-died organic wool from our fifth-generation family tribe of freerange sheep)... Then we delivered, natrually, on the spring equinox, at midnight in the open air, warmed by a bonfire of yak dung and reclaimed cedar scraps, accompanied by our...
In addition to the great licenced lay midwife program and state health plan coverage for homebirth, we have very open licencing policies allowing other alternative healthcare providers -- such as chiropractors and natropaths -- to perform births, giving you even more choices. DS was born at home and caught by an LDEM in the coast range, DD at home in Portland, caught by a natropath. I've lived in a lot of places, including Berkeley CA and Woodstock NY. IMHO, there are a...
Racism is racism regardless of the race. Racism does not mean prejudice against minorities, it means prejudice based on race. There is no justification for racism, none. It doesn't matter whether the statement was "white people are always..." or "black people are always..." or "asian people are always...", it was a racist statement. It doesn't matter what history the person has or what they have experienced -- it is still a generality, it is still prejudice and it is still...
I have never been more tempted to boycott a company than I have Monsanto -- I do think they are about as demonic as it comes -- but how to boycott when so much of their products are not sold to consumers? Any suggestions? ETA: So who makes RoundUp? Scotts Miracle-Gro or Monsanto? Does anyone here boycott Scotts Miracle-Gro/Ortho/Smith & Hawkens?
I'm not a MW and I can't tell you any statistics. Anectodally, I can tell you your birth sounds so much like my first birth... only I was blessed with a living and healthy son. I am so, so sorry for your loss. I was in labor for about 1-1/2 days and I pushed for four hours. The MW checked his heartrate to be sure it stayed strong. She was patient. When his head finally emerged it was huge and red and crying. He got a 10/10 Apgar score, his biggest neotatal problem a...
...you've lived in Bolinas. We did a stint there when I was six. I wonder if I knew LisainCalifornia's friend. I knew families that lived in tents... and teepees, and trailers, and towers, and stilt houses, and A-frames, and geodesic domes, and... now it breaks my heart to see people living in places where all the houses are the same. And the kids' names! You all would have approved. Breath, Ocean, Asia, Crystal, Kalana, Honduu, Ezra, Strawberry, Cream... So, speaking...
Giving antibiotics for thrush is like giving raw chicken for food poisoning. That woman has had her brain removed. : Why do people think medical doctors are health experts?!?!?
I would (and will) use a housecleaning service if and when it is in the budget. Since I work full-time and my husband is not-exactly Mr. Mom, my house is usually eewwwwy gross.