or Connect

Posts by Megan73

My four-year-old asks fairly often to nurse when his 19-month-old brother is nursing. I've told him that it's been a long time since he nursed and he might forget how but he's welcome to have a snuggle and some of my pumped milk in a cup. He's taken me up on the offer of milk only once or twice. The fact that I didn't say no seems to satisfy him. I do wonder when he'll stop sticking his hand down my shirt, though
DS - 19 months - still nurses a lot and acrobatically so I assumed when I started having toe-curling pain in my right nipple a few days ago that it was from a tug or bite during the night that I slept through. But when it persisted I noticed there's no sign of an injury and I can feel a round, smooth, pea-sized lump where the nipple meets the areola. It's pretty tender to the touch and downright painful while nursing and pumping. There's no sign of a milk bleb and the lump...
Yup, I breastfed with a Lact-Aid (which is a thousand times better than the SNS, IMO) for over a year then stopped supplementing but kept nursing when DS1 was a toddler. I had five units, which was perfect because they could be washed and loaded once a day - a great job for a partner, BTW. I just nursed "bare" at night but if you need to supplement at night I'd just keep a small cooler next to your bed. A small insulated bag with an icepack is handy for traveling with...
I'm afraid I don't have any suggestions on the yeast but I wanted to tell you I am sorry for your loss and wish you all the best with your new pregnancy. I lost my first baby five years ago in my 40th week to a fetal-maternal hemorrhage caused by a silent abruption. I feel for you, mama. The pregnancy and birth forum here helped me a lot. Be gentle with yourself - and I hope you get some relief from that infernal itching!
I would try renting a Medela Symphony. It did seem to get out more milk than my PIS. But pumping isn't the only thing to do to increase supply. Have you tried taking domperidone? Have you had your babes checked for tongue tie? The book The Nursing Mother's Guide to Making More Milk has some great ideas. Good luck.
I would watch it but not panic just yet. Average weight gain for her age should be 5-7 ounces a week. I'd try nursing as much as you can - co-sleeping and wearing baby in a sling or wrap will help with that - then weigh again in a week. If she's still not gaining well I'd get nursing evaluated by an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC). Kellymom.com has great resources on normal growth for BF babies and how to get them gaining more. HTH
Your doctor has likely read the FDA warning about donor BM: http://www.fda.gov/ScienceResearch/SpecialTopics/PediatricTherapeuticsResearch/ucm235203.htm Whether you feel comfortable using it is another matter. If you know your donor is HIV and hepatitis free and doesn't take prescription or street drugs, I personally would use it. If you're concerned, you could ask your donor to sign a release so her MW or doctor could share her negative test results from her prenatal...
Hey OP,Dom increases gastric motility so your stomach empties faster and you get hungrier. That's why most people prescribed dom take it.So yeah, you can gain weight. My SIL gained about 20 lb taking dom - 120 mg a day - but I've been really lucky. I've taken 90 mg a day for both my nurslings (for 15 months with my first and 14 months and counting with my second) and am thinner than I've ever been although still pudgy, sadly.That said, I know dom is expensive for U.S. moms...
I wholeheartedly recommend the LA - I used it for long-term supplementation with my first baby and it's a wonderful product. The Medela SNS is a PIA and I suspect it turns a lot of people of at-the-breast supplementation. Supplementing at the breast instead of with bottles prevents babies from developing flow preference, which is really important. But I have some questions: How old is your baby? How is his or her weight gain? Do you have any idea why your supply is low? Is...
Awesome deal! I wouldn't hestitate to use them, whether the original owner supplemented with BM or formula as long as you clean them well before use. I can't imagine any pathogen could survive long enough to be a problem. My SIL gave me her LAs when she was done with them and never had any problem. Just inspect all the parts before assembling them. The feeding tube can develop small holes after prolonged use.