or Connect

Posts by monkeysmommy

We are really broke right now and getting low on food. I was pretty proud of myself for actually coming up with a decent dinner the other night. We had a little bit of lentils, a little bit of barley, and I threw it into a pot with some broth, a potato, a carrot, and a little bit of frozen corn, to make soup. It was looking good but not looking like it was going to be enough. I wanted biscuits to go along with it, and was sad because I didn't have all the ingredients. I...
This did happen to me once, and we were starving and didn't know where else to go, so we stayed. They did have booster seats. I tied my baby to her chair with my Maya wrap. I was too hungry to care whether they liked it or not.
yep, I got rude comments from people all the time. I also got the "she'll never learn to walk" comment. Um, she walked at 10 months actually. Sometimes it made me really mad or sad. Once a neighbor, said, "She's too old to be carried" and I said, "You're too old to butt into other people's business." (not nice, I know!) But I also got supportive comments sometimes too so that helped make up for the others. Once when my dd was about 18 months she was in my maya wrap...
My dd is 8 and we have no plans to discontinue bedtime stories any time in the near future. I enjoy it myself. We are currently reading through the Little House series and we are on "The Long Winter." I read these as a child but I don't remember them so it is like enjoying them all over again. They are so educational and so stimulating for dd's pretend play. We have read aloud the whole Harry Potter series, all the Ramona books, the Narnia chronicles, and many more books...
Just today I noticed when dd, age 8 took off her shirt, her armpits no longer smell like kid sweat, or as my dh says "a dirty nickel". They now smell like adult armpits, in other words, like onions. At first I thought it was me! Isn't it a little early for her to be smelling like that? Also in the last few weeks I've noticed she can't go as long as she used to without washing her hair. It looks greasy after a few days, whereas we used to only wash it once a week, unless...
My dd is 8. I have been leaving her alone to go to the store (across the street) for about a year. I am going to ask her if she wants to stay home in the morning while I take dh to do his clinical shift at the hospital. It will take about 20 minutes and she will probably be asleep the whole time. If she is not comfortable with the idea, she will have to get up at 6:00, so we'll see how that conversation goes. We live in a very secure apartment building surrounded by...
Does anyone know of a good PT in San Francisco? I would be paying out of pocket so I am looking for sliding scale or at least not too terribly expensive.
My family loves white bean and kale soup. Put about 6 cups of chicken or veggie broth in a pot with lots of garlic, some onion, two cans of white beans, a potato, some carrots, and a bunch of kale, stems removed. Some basil and oregano, salt and pepper to taste. Cook until potatoes and carrots are tender. Serve with cheddar biscuits. Yummy!
We just instituted a combination chore/behavior chart last week. We decided to start simple with chores since we have never done them before and when we didn't want her to be overwhelmed. Her list has 10 things on it. They are: Get dressed, Brush teeth (am) Put dirty clothes in hamper Put dirty dishes in sink Do homework Brush teeth (pm) Follow directions Good manners Positive attitude No waking parents before 6:00 am For each thing that is completed she gets...
We love all the kids' cookbooks by Mollie Katzen.