or Connect

Posts by eilonwy

I joined MDC back in 2003 (it feels like a million years ago now). I haven't been able to bring myself to even lurk in my old haunts in ages. I've tried, but I just can't do it. I'm glad to hear that the moderation is less obnoxious now, because quite frankly I don't believe I deserved ANY of the points I received under the old system. That said, I'm not sure if it is possible for me to feel welcome here anymore. I don't feel that MDC supports my values as a parent...
Hello ladies. I had a completely hellish day today, the sort that just screams for a toke or six to be functional (to say nothing of 'unwinding'). I don't think the most tightly-wound of straight edges would have begrudged me a toke today, it was just horrendously stressful all around. My car got stuck in snow and ice at the end, so just when I thought the hell was over I had to stand out in the snow for an hour and a half while my sister's boyfriend and her brother and...
That's exactly how I feel about the pediatric unit. It doesn't help that we come in and they greet us like old friends. It's a little disturbing, I have family who sees less of the baby than medical staff. :/   We're having an okay week so far. Bear's been very responsive to the inhaler and he only threatened to throw up this morning (rather than actually doing it). Here's hoping that his lungs are completely clear before he gets sick again. Fingers crossed.
Do you live in one of the states with a medical law, Tinkie?
I'm in exactly the same place with my 34 month old. He's dry most nights but when he goes we float right out of bed. I also went with the sposies (the extra-absorbent nighttime pullups, even). I don't think he's a super wetter, but he's a big fellow. My older daughter *was* a super wetter due to a kidney problem and I used to pack her into several layers of diaper (like a hemp fitted with a regular prefold and a hemp flat in a pro-wrap) before I finally gave up and went...
Bear's had some vaxes, but because he was sick for most of his well baby checks he didn't get all of them. If it takes 4-5 weeks then we're still looking at three or so; Good to know! They told me that it would be 2-3 weeks, but I'm not sure what exactly they're doing with his samples, or what they're looking for. My research has been fascinating and mostly reassuring. It looks like whatever is going on is relatively "mild"-- Bear's growth and development have been...
Bear's diet is free of wheat, diary, egg, soy, most refined sugars and food dyes. He's been diagnosed with "presumed allergies" to dairy and egg, has had one [slight] positive skin test for soy and one delayed-positive skin test for wheat (but never a positive RAST to anything)-- all this despite reacting very strongly to all four. His diet is very limited by comparison to that of his siblings (all of whom are healthy).
It will probably be another week or two. I did ask yesterday and they said it was listed as "pending". Based on my reading, I think a visit with an immunologist and/or a geneticist is in our near future. :/
Bear seemed to be feeling a little better earlier today, but by the time evening rolled around he was miserable again. I feel so inadequate right now. :( How do you manage? I mean I can give Bear medicine and I can carry him in the sling and snuggle with him, but I can't get him better or keep him from getting sick in the first place. :(
:( I'm glad to hear that your daughter is doing a little better than before. Do you think there's any chance that she'll outgrow this? What have her doctors said about her frequent illnesses? And yes, it's such a pain to have to worry about other people being sick all the time. No one has ever caught anything from Bear, but he gets sick so often that it seems pointless to keep him home-- we would have to keep all four kids in a bubble all the time and it's just...